Booing the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem this season is that we are not usually playing the nice triangles which possession football is based on. Last season we were.

Currently, if players are pressed, they generally take the easy option of a pass back to the player that passed it to them or to a player further back in defence. And so the crowd watches Baines bomb down the sideline, check back when an opposing player comes to cover and pass it inside or back to Distin. Distin then fannies around for a while and the ball ends up back at Howard who waits to kick it until an opposing player comes towards him and then a) wellies it into touch or b) lobs it into midfield where the opposing team frequently get the ball back.

So from a more or less promising attacking move, we are left with at best a 50/50 challenge in midfield having wasted two or three minutes to get there. And it is tremendously frustrating watching defenders who are not comfortable on the ball trying to work out what to do with it. Any team who has studied us knows that you need to press Distin when he has the ball and it will either end up with a back pass to Howard or a poor forward pass.

Our first goal came from a player who didn't take the easy route initially, who turned his defender and then attacked. Baines and the forwards used to play aggressive one-twos - now his first reaction is to turn back to the defence. Even QPR last night were better moving forward than we were.

The fans know that we can be far better than this - thus the frustration.

At least last night we were closing people down and making a few tackles (thank you Besic, Barkley and Naismith) rather than standing off them, keeping our shape and waiting until they passed the ball.

If we actually looked comfortable on the ball and were passing it around with some cohesion, no one would have a problem with the passing. It's the fact that we're clearly dreadful on the ball, our centre backs panic and we often end up losing possession in dangerous areas. No one would be complaining if we were knocking it around the midfield like Barcelona for 10 minutes when 3-1 up

Stones cant get up to fitness fast enough.

Wouldnt hesitate playing barry or alcaraz with him too.

Jags and disitn are an axis of gash, add in the bearded clowns distribution. No wonder its slow and labored

Thing is, at one point we passed it back to Howard and the commentators said about the booing and how we should be patient because it's better to keep posession rather than play a hopeful ball upfield and give it back to the o position.
At which point Howard booted it up field and about 10 seconds later they had a shot at goal.

Do people not want to see the School of Science, passing football back at Goodison, or are we just happy to go back to long ball, because it gets the ball forward quicker.

The School of Science was never about pedestrian, sideways passing or back passing from corners and free kicks which regularly turn attack into defence.

It was crisp, accurate passing which moved the ball forward at pace with devastating effect.

I think one of the problems we are facing now is that the cart was placed before the horse so to speak.

If we were watching this dross last season we would have understood we were a team in transition and people would have been more in tune with what was happening.

Then this season we were playing the brilliant stuff of last season and we would be seeing the project moved forward.

The reverse is true.

We are going backwards......both literally and metaphorically.

It is like the line from the James song......."if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor".

In short, we thought the School of Science was on its way back last year......now we ain't so sure.

And it is like you woke up on Christmas morning and Santa hadn't stopped by your house :(

There's never any excuse for a free kick in their half to end up back at our goalie. If you've got the players to play it short then great, do so. But is Distin, because he's been played the ball from a free kick rather than open play, suddenly going to create something. It spends far too much time at Howard's and Distins feet.

Our midfielders need to receive the ball, turn and RUN. Other teams do it to us, and they have 3 or more players scrambling trying to retrieve it. We don't give the opposition nearly enough to think about because we're happy shifting the ball backwards and sideways.

Stop blaming the fans. Honestly.

It was a night game, people were up for it going into the ground, and they expected the team to scrap early on after a poor run of results.

Yet the opening to the game was a series of five yard passes along the back line, short passes back from free kicks, short corners and no overlapping runs etc.

They weren't booing the players; they were booing the approach and mindset of the manager. Yes, we won, but we never got going except for a flurry after the first goal, and a better side would have beaten us tonight.

Everton fans are generally knowledgeable about the game itself and can look long term, and have longer memories too. There's a section of that support who saw the spineless effort against Man City when they were there for the taking and remembered it clearly. This was the same performance but, thankfully, it was QPR in front of us.

If they clapped the same performance just because we are winning one game, they'd be hypocrites. So whilst I didn't boo myself, I can certainly understand it. It's an attempt to get the manager and team to wake up and realise there's more to football than tiki taka nonsense. They may be right or wrong but it's what they believe, so be it.

Rather than booing why not start a chant of "Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack, Attack". Same message but a more positive way of doing it. Would create a better atmosphere also.

Too Kopite, that.....it sounds ridiculous when they do it and I don't imagine it would sound any better coming from us.

the Boos are coming from a season of frustration. how many times have we passed the ball at the back, just to lose posetion? its been every game, ive never booed the team but i find myself on so many occasions just shouting "boot the f***ING BALL". Im all for passing it around the back but we do it that much, teams put pressure on us, its not needed. we are better than this and that is not good football. yes we were 3-0 up, but weve done it all season when weve been losing or drawing.

the Boos are coming from a season of frustration. how many times have we passed the ball at the back, just to lose posetion? its been every game, ive never booed the team but i find myself on so many occasions just shouting "boot the f***ING BALL". Im all for passing it around the back but we do it that much, teams put pressure on us, its not needed. we are better than this and that is not good football. yes we were 3-0 up, but weve done it all season when weve been losing or drawing.
possession*

I'd rather we played like that and we won 3-1, than go gung ho and lost 6-3, or threw away a 2 goal lead.....sound familiar?

Last season against Newcastle we dominated first half went in 3-0, second half we came out the same way and let them back into the game, and nearly ended up with just a point.

Status
Not open for further replies.