Best Team in the World in 86/87?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was the team that beat us 6-1 in 1986. Yeah I know it was friendly.
The point is, They were a very good team dominating their league. Over here it's still a talking point that they couldn't reach a final. What I'm trying to say is that there's no guarantee we'd have won the EC.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still sick to my stomach that we didn't get the chance to try. And I think we had the mental strength and winning mentality to do it.
Just being devil's advocate* I suppose

*Argumentative cnut in plain English
Of course it wouldn't have been guaranteed, but I think we could have done it.

I still think the Red****e's '86 double would have been ours if that kunt Aldo hadn't crocked Big Nev in an international halfway throught he season. He was that good.[/QUOTE]

Yeh Mimms was ok but Southall was a massive miss and would have given us that bit extra that was needed.

Barcelona in Lineker's time were a relatively poor side who never won the league and played second fiddle to Sanchez's Madrid.

The real competition would be Sacchi's Milan and the other italian sides, Matthaus' Bayern and the big argentinian sides.

We were certainly up there in 84-87 as one of the best in the world.

I can only re-iterate this

No doubt at all that we would have had a great chance of winning the EC - the CWC vistory in 85 showed we could win in Europe.
English teams were without doubt the best in Europe throughout the late 70s until mid 80s when the ban came in , so it is natural to assume that we would probably have been favourites to lift the trophy. Imagine that nowadays - Everton the favourites to be European champions.

There is never a guarantee, and there was no seeding back then to massage the big teams through, but we certainly had a massive chance taken away from us.

Gary Lineker never seems to mention us or his time with us it always seems to be Leicester he affiliates with in England but fair play whenever he gets asked about his best club side he always says us. Not a bad shout when you think of some of the teams he's played in!!

Gary Lineker never seems to mention us or his time with us it always seems to be Leicester he affiliates with in England but fair play whenever he gets asked about his best club side he always says us. Not a bad shout when you think of some of the teams he's played in!!

Buying himself a quiet life mate, we would be the most vocal if he were to say another team.

If he ever saw me in my Everton Shirt and said it I would reply with, "I'm sure we are, however the side that you played in is not the best Everton side that I have seen."

It still would've been good enough for European Cup though I reckon, and if in it then Andy Gray may have been retained as well. Even if we had been allowed to compete, which some were asking for despite the ban, then we would've experienced a night in the far flung reaches of Eastern Europe in which we would be dumped out with the aid of all officials, probably a youngish Collina would've taken charge.

Maybe????? unfair to blame the redsh*te, but they had to be involved in the ban to English clubs that never gave us the chance to prove we were at least the best in Europe.

haven't read the rest of the thread yet however feel passionate enough about this that had to have my say.

Facts are facts, English clubs got banned for what happened at Heysel which as far as the authorities were concerned (inc. Thatcher) was the straw that broke the camel's back after lots of problems with English fans / English club fans across Europe for years.

We were deffo the best team in the World 1985 - 6 and it's a crying shame that we never had the chance to prove it. I feek very fortunate to have seen that team on many occasions and also to have been in Munich and Rotterdam. Still get goosebumps remembering it. F'kin brilliant.

We were strong, proper international quality throughout and even when we had injuries we had quality waiting. Kevin Richardson was first pick for the Arse for years, good player IMO, but couldn't get near us. Imagine that summer when we picked Lineker up in addition to Sharpy, Gray and Inchy, talk about an abundance of riches.

Rightly or wrongly this is when I began to detest the ****e with a passion.

It is easy to forget ( as I had done ) the 85-86 Team because we didn't win anything...and as for the cup final I can never reconcile the fact that Kendall knowingly went into the game with TWO injured players, Mountfield, who, although finishing the game, never played until a couple of months later and Bracewell, who again, finished the game and never played for 2 yrs.

The top team ever is the 84-85 team who WERE named World Team of the Year as well as European Team of the Year, For Me they are in a Photo with the 69-70 team.
It would take a snooker type tournament of say first to 40 frames, the 69-70 team might score more 147's but in the close frames the 84-85 would just edge it 40-39.

The 62-63 team are next by a short head.
Then the 85-86 team - a neck
with the 86-87 by half a length

Kendall had to fanny around for the first half dozen or so games to find the right blend between Sharp Heath and Lineker, making it up as he went along trying to find the right way to ' play ' Lineker effectivly.

Don't see why they couldn't have just banned fans from travelling instead of banning clubs from competing

Don't see why they couldn't have just banned fans from travelling instead of banning clubs from competing

I still don't understand why, when there was a load of trouble with Italian teams (police and fans getting killed), none of them got anything more than play games behind closed doors.

I remember there was one comment that if they banned the Italian teams it would cripple Italian football, it done what to English football again?

Status
Not open for further replies.