Best Team in the World in 86/87?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gheesom

Player Valuation: £8m
I'm of the opinion that the team in 86/87 was in fact the best team in the world at that time? am I alone?

Basically this stems from Gary Lineker, saying, on twitter, that the best club he has ever played for was Everton. A lad I know, refuses to believe that we were better than Barcelona.

What do y'all think?

Gary Lineker @GaryLineker
RT @paddymcbride90: @GaryLineker Best side you ever played in? < Club side; Everton

Barcelona in Lineker's time were a relatively poor side who never won the league and played second fiddle to Sanchez's Madrid.

The real competition would be Sacchi's Milan and the other italian sides, Matthaus' Bayern and the big argentinian sides.

We were certainly up there in 84-87 as one of the best in the world.

Maybe????? unfair to blame the redsh*te, but they had to be involved in the ban to English clubs that never gave us the chance to prove we were at least the best in Europe.

It drives me nuts to look at the teams who won the EC in the years the ban denied us, I'm not saying Steaua, Porto and PSV weren't good sides but there was no one really invincible until the later milan sides.

My dad is convinced we really had a shot at it.

The 85/86 side with Lineker played better football than the previous season. The 84/85 side played a high tempo, high line game with a lot of crosses coming in from the flanks for Gray and Sharp. When Lineker signed we played it more on the deck and through the middle, and it was good to watch. The team was brimming with confidence so the football was more expansive than the previous season. Add to the fact that by then, other teams knew what we we were all about, so I'd consider the 85/86 team to be better than the previous seasons incarnation. Probably the best team in Europe at that point.

The 85/86 side with Lineker played better football than the previous season. The 84/85 side played a high tempo, high line game with a lot of crosses coming in from the flanks for Gray and Sharp. When Lineker signed we played it more on the deck and through the middle, and it was good to watch. The team was brimming with confidence so the football was more expansive than the previous season. Add to the fact that by then, other teams knew what we we were all about, so I'd consider the 85/86 team to be better than the previous seasons incarnation. Probably the best team in Europe at that point.
we never played football with links in the team ,it was the ball over the top time and time again ,which 9 times out of ten links got on the end of ,

we never played football with links in the team ,it was the ball over the top time and time again ,which 9 times out of ten links got on the end of ,

True mate, there was a lot of through balls from the middle, either over the top or on the deck. But what I can remember, that team played great football, well, until Pointin got on the ball:)

It drives me nuts to look at the teams who won the EC in the years the ban denied us, I'm not saying Steaua, Porto and PSV weren't good sides but there was no one really invincible until the later milan sides.

My dad is convinced we really had a shot at it.

We'd have taken some stopping in '86 imo, we were the best side in Europe at that point in time, we just never had the chance to prove it. It's not a given that we'd have lifted the pot instead of Steau, but we'd have had a very good chance of getting our first European cup win that year. Hence our lovable neighbours & 'that flag'.

I'm pretty confident that we would have won the EC more than once, in that period 84-87....I also don't think that team would have broke apart in the way it did, if we'd been playing in Europe.

Those were the good days,southall,ratcliffe,stevens,sheedy,trevor steven,reidy,Gray,Sharp & others,im pretty sure we would have at least won 1 european cup.

The 84-85 side played pure football,the best Everton side I've ever seen,the season after with Lineker we were stlll good to watch but adapted our style to suit his strengths,however I feel the greatest triumph was 86-87,to win the league having encountered the number of injuries we had that year was remarkable IMHO.

The 85/86 side, which won nothing, was better than the title winning sides either side of it, imo. The league table lied that season.

exactly as I remember that season as well, he grabbed a sackful but there wasn't the spread of goals throughout the team, after he'd decided to take the Peseta (which he did cos they weren't up there then) normal service resumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.