Beardsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Loved the man, his 1st season with us was my 1st full season going to the game as a kid showing my Junior Evertonian card and paying £3

images

Fantastic player he was, and thank god we had him at time. He took him several seasons to start to become the player he was, playing for Carlisle, Vancouver Whitecaps and Man Utd reserves I recall. Nowadays, everyone is expected to be a superstar at 20.

One of a select few players who are loved by both us and them.

Who've we got?

Quasi, Gary Ablett, and for reasons I don't understand fully, Abel Xavier according to some.

No one hates Don Hutchinson either, do they?

But loved, you're talking Quasi and Ablett only, surely. Am I missing anyone?

I met him at the DVLA office I worked at in my home town of Newcastle during my civil service days. He was getting a cherished number plate on his wife's car, and we enjoyed a chat in the public area whilst he waited.

I said I was an Evertonian, albeit being a geordie. Lovely guy, (him not me). He said he absolutely loved playing in the city for Everton and Liverpool, and that the fans were the greatest in the world along with his beloved NUFC fans of course!

I also had the honour of meeting Ray Kennedy in the same setting, with him being a local lad from the coast. It was quite moving to see the respect shown by some of the lorry drivers and others waiting in the queue. They were all trying to get him to go to the front of the queue with him being very ill with Parkinsons at that time, and I asked him if wanted a chair which I insisted he agree to as he didn't want a fuss, so I sent out one of my staff with it. A lot of the younger staff didn't know who he was. When someone suggested he was "just an old footballer", I quietly gave a brief but to the point history lesson and reminded them that they were in the presence of greatness and to show some respect!
One of thee greatest English midfield players of all time (along with Bally) who fell on hard and tragic times and died well before his time. RIP Mr Kennedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.