Beardsley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he the only living ex player loved by both blues and reds??

Always had a sneaky feeling he was more red than blue, but his blueness was still strong!
Can you edit the thread title...and give the man his full name please mate, I feel we owe him a little bit more respect as a group.

Truly excellent player. An absolute joy to watch him play for Everton.

I remember my brother telling me we signed him all excited. I honestly couldn't believe it; superb signing and what a shocker that was. Surely the best player to ever directly switch sides between us.
Great player and as you say surely the best ever player to switch sides between Everton and Liverpool but Johny Morrissey ran him close.

That clip on page one. When I truly started loving Everton that. Beagrie, Beardsley, Cottee, Big Nev - proper fell in love with that team, even though we were crap.

TBH it still a mystery to me how that team could be that bad most weeks. Did they all hate each other?

Truly excellent player. An absolute joy to watch him play for Everton.

I remember my brother telling me we signed him all excited. I honestly couldn't believe it; superb signing and what a shocker that was. Surely the best player to ever directly switch sides between us.

kevin-sheedy-57642483.jpg

Beardsley was fantastic. Funny thing is, I was just saying the other day that I consider Samuel Eto'o to be the best player to play for us since Beardsley.

In Howard Kendall's book he talks briefly about Beardsley and says he was amazing in his first season, scored more than 20 goals, but in his second season he spent so much time focussing in trying to create the chances, take the corners, take the throw ins. Tackling back, he only got 2 of 3 goals and the side suffered. At the time Newcastle paid us £1.5m for a 32 year old player and we were desperate for the cash and snatched their hands off. I think he actually played till he was about 38, but not many players did that in them days, so people at the time probably thought the deal made sense, considering he wasn't scoring and we had paid £1m for him.

I think he was a great player, but needed to be played behind a main striker, like with Andy Cole when he was at Newcastle, who Beardsley provided with loads if chances

Status
Not open for further replies.