Beardsley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Ve Dito

Player Valuation: £750k
Is he the only living ex player loved by both blues and reds??

Always had a sneaky feeling he was more red than blue, but his blueness was still strong!

Fantastic player, both at our club and for England. Lineker described him as "the best partner I could ever have".

http://www.thefa.com/England/news/2005/england_linekerbeardsley
While Lineker was gathering the headlines for his finishing, Beardsley’s tormenting runs drew defenders away and created space, something the former Leicester man appreciated

"As a goalscorer, you want a fellow striker who does not get in your way and who is preferably unselfish," says Lineker, "someone who is prepared to drop deep and confuse defenders in order to give you more space. For me, that player was Peter Beardsley. We just hit it off and became the catalyst for the team."

"We were perfect together because we never got in each other’s way. Gary was always in the box and I was running about, working the channels," adds Beardsley.
The statistics certainly speak for themselves. In 39 games in tandem, Beardsley and Lineker finished on the losing side just six times, winning 19. But there was a significant disparity in their scoring ratios - while Lineker hit 27 goals in that period, his partner scored just six and found the net only nine times in 59 appearances. Did Beardsley mind his fellow striker grabbing the glory? "Not at all. I got a buzz out of making the goals. Some partners might get frustrated at the other person scoring all the goals, but not me."

So prolific were the pair that when Lineker returned from Barcelona to spearhead Tottenham’s attack in 1989, he tried to persuade manager Terry Venables to bring Beardsley, then at Anfield, to White Hart Lane.

Truly excellent player. An absolute joy to watch him play for Everton.

I remember my brother telling me we signed him all excited. I honestly couldn't believe it; superb signing and what a shocker that was. Surely the best player to ever directly switch sides between us.

He never seems to get a mention when people talk about our best ever players, but he was fantastic. I loved watching him play...
I think that was possibly because of the dross he was lining up with at that time,it was a very poor side,but Beardsley shone like a beacon,he literally never stopped,he tried to do everything for us,took throw ins,corners,free kicks and you sensed he would try to get on the end of his own through balls!!!I always remember being at Forest for his debut and the blues singing,"he's not ugly anymore"!!The only player who I think could even improved us in 1985,he was that good,Martinez would have cherished him too.:)

I think that was possibly because of the dross he was lining up with at that time,it was a very poor side,but Beardsley shone like a beacon,he literally never stopped,he tried to do everything for us,took throw ins,corners,free kicks and you sensed he would try to get on the end of his own through balls!!!I always remember being at Forest for his debut and the blues singing,"he's not ugly anymore"!!The only player who I think could even improved us in 1985,he was that good,Martinez would have cherished him too.:)

Very much this, I recall he was so many levels above the rest of the side of that time, they just didn't read his brilliance. Excellent player, great attitude

Status
Not open for further replies.