baines-points.jpg

Everton team v man City

Howard
Coleman - Jagielka - Distin - Garbutt
McCarthy - Baines
Deulofeu - Naismith - Barkley
Lukaku

Barry - ineligible

Sounds like a way of utilising present squad strengths...or a cheapskate way of solving a midfield problem.

Every decision made on the playing side at Everton has to be viewed through the prism of what's cost effective.

Guardiola switches Lahm inside to fit his system; Martinez mulls over a similar switch for Baines because Kenwright cant give him funds.

Hardly. What cash we do have can be used in different areas which need more attention. If Baines becoming a midfielder works, not only do we get midfield cover, we can also push Oviedo up into the first team, saving him getting unhappy or feeling left out, and bring in Garbutt as a cover for Oviedo.

was talking to a few blues about this at the start of the season but for Oviedo because we didn't think he would get a look in the technical ability of both is outstanding an could easily take up that deep lying mid role

>>>>> "Full-back the Reds tried to buy attended midweek Bayern clash because Martinez thinks he can become a hold
Grand central?" <<<<<<

Not something I'd have thought of. I guess it takes a lot of stamina to get up and down the pitch as a fullback and I think Roberto said that Baines would have more passing scope by playing further infield. I wonder what sort of timescale Martinez is thinking of. They're not going to have a lot of time to work on it in pre-season because of Leighton's involvement in the World Cup, so maybe it's with a view to being Barry's successor when he retires?

I hadn't noticed him not fitting the system tbh. Here we are with the season near its end when we have performed very well defensively and Baines has been a part of that more than Oviedo has. Just because his partnership with Pienaar isn't what it was doesn't mean he's had a bad season.

2 assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.