Baines: The midfielder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a way of utilising present squad strengths...or a cheapskate way of solving a midfield problem.

Every decision made on the playing side at Everton has to be viewed through the prism of what's cost effective.

Guardiola switches Lahm inside to fit his system; Martinez mulls over a similar switch for Baines because Kenwright cant give him funds.

Well let's hope he wants Baines in midfield because he think he's better there and not because Kenwright is being a bellend.

I think, under Martinez, Oviedo is a better left back for us. That's why Martinez wants to utilise Baines' talents elsewhere.

Sounds like a way of utilising present squad strengths...or a cheapskate way of solving a midfield problem.

Every decision made on the playing side at Everton has to be viewed through the prism of what's cost effective.

Guardiola switches Lahm inside to fit his system; Martinez mulls over a similar switch for Baines because Kenwright cant give him funds.

Or, Oviedo has been our most effective left-back this season, yet Baines has probably the most complete skillset in the squad. I honestly think it's the natural move regardless of funds or not.

Or, Oviedo has been our most effective left-back this season, yet Baines has probably the most complete skillset in the squad. I honestly think it's the natural move regardless of funds or not.
Baines is a more complete LB than Oviedo.

I dont know how many seasons Baines has to prove he's probably the best LB in the PL and probably Europe. IMO, shifting him isn't a wise move. Looks more like a pragmatic use of resources...itself alarming going into another summer window.

Playing Baines in front of the back 4 makes perfect sense when he starts losing his pace/stamina. Glad Martinez is thinking about the long term.

I doubt we'll see him play midfield (unless it's a friendly) for many seasons yet though.

Be worth a try, thinking outside the box, varience of system is good - Norway have used it to good efect this year.
That wasn't variance so much as tearing up the playbook and writing another one...replacing one written by the manager with one written by the captain, btw.

Be worth a try, thinking outside the box, varience of system is good - Norway have used it to good efect this year.

agreed. I think Baines will be an outstanding midfielder, and he needs the switch as this season he's been very disappointing. One assist in 25 games is not the return we're used to.

Personally I like him on the left-wing, with Bry on LB (from next season that is).

It's been rumoured that Baines is a bit of a ( self ) confidence player, it may be about how he thinks about it, so if Roberto can convince him the world's his lobster.

Oh dear, the sound of Doom, I tell you we are all doomed. doomed I say.:(:zzz:

Status
Not open for further replies.