Ages, casualties, and squad progression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great, can you provide me with a crumb of reason to cling too?

You think it's lightening-strikes.

Others would say it's having a good scouting network and player database and inside info on whats what with players.

Villa are looking to cut expenditure apparently (O'Neill and their Lerner have been in conflict over it). Spurs can't go on like they have been, their debt was £90million last figure.

The RS have well known issues, as do Utd in terms of expenditure.

Just wait till the summer.

Kelsey, I've threaded this discussion in the past, and I can tell you it's an unpopular subject.
In my opinion, Howard, Cahill, Neville, Saha, and Distin are all nearing the end of their Everton careers.

Howard is a keeper, so can last a little longer than outfield players, but will eventually have to be replaced. With Mucha arriving, Howards biggest threat to his number 1 spot will be a spell out through injury as if Mucha excells, he might not regain that status.

Cahill will probably be rotated for a while, but he's 31 this year, so his place in a starting 11 with so many other options isn't guaranteed.
If he has a good World Cup, and attracts other offers, I'd be inclined to think both he and Moyes would have to consider them.

Neville can probably last a year or so as a holding midfielder, but no way can he last as a right back at the top level. He's 33, and has a natural successor in Rodwell climbing the ranks for the middle.
If we have a good transfer window in the summer, I expect Nev to spend next season with us as club captain, and as a squad player, but not in the first 11 unless we get injuries.

Distin is a decent defender, and gets a bit of stick, but probably because many here are bitten by the Heitinga / Jags bug. He wasn't my preferred purchase when he arrived, as at 34 this year, he was a quick fix and not a long term one, though I do recall our fans delight with him when they thought they had gotten one over on Lescott and City. He is our only left back cover of note, and still has pace, but not a long term prospect, so I would think his agents will try and get him one last move in the next window if both Yobo and Senderos stay.

Saha is a good goal scorer, but at 32 this year, I feel he'll be allowed to leave in the summer, or certainly January, if a good opportunity comes his way, especially if Yakubu raises the bar on current performances and we get another striker in, which I feel we must. He's a little inconsistent and injury prone (aren't they all), even this season, but has scored invaluable goals since arriving.
Moyes hasn't asked 26 year old Beckford to take a look at Everton simply to put him in the reserves, nor did he ask about Huntelaar and company because he didn't think we needed an additional striker.

Hibbert and Osman are both 29 this year ( Feb and May respectively ) so both still have plenty of tread on the tires yet, either for us or someone else, though they're our local lads so will probably stay out their career with us. Both are given unfair stick in my opinion, and both a lot better than given credit for.

We need experience in the squad, as well as youth, so finding the blend is key.
This year might be a fascinating year in the transfer market.

Who might be sold?
Who might come in?
Who might retire?

All good for a discussion if you ask me. lol

Last edited:
Id SELL - Summer

Anichebe 3.5m + future add ons
Vaughan 3.5m + future add ons
Nash FREE - F off bechie
Turner 1.5m + future add ons
Hibbert 4m
Yobo 3.5m
Distin 4m
Osman 8
Yakubu 12m

40 million squids and Id buy

Steven Fletcher nailed on, swapsies for Cheeb and Vaughan
Nedum Onuoha/Micah Richards or a Michael Ciani 5m
Bradley Oar as a cheap, very talented teen no ones heard of 500k
Donovan 8m or Moutinho 15m+
Maybe a cheeky punt on Dzeko or a Grafite 10-15m

And I'd do it all within a week of the window opening and we'd be in the Champions League NAILED ON

Kelsey, I've threaded this discussion in the past, and I can tell you it's an unpopular subject.
In my opinion, Howard, Cahill, Neville, Saha, and Distin are all nearing the end of their Everton careers.
<snip>

I think you're worrying a bit too much about. As I said, it's only natural, to worry about a player you've spent £10m on getting older and maybe past their sell by date. Back in the days of Smith I agree it was a problem - he sold our young players and bought in aging has-beens. But Moyes has a youth policy that is one of the best in the league. If anything it is Liverpool who have adopted our old ways - I see nothing from them in terms of young players, and all they do year on year now is bring in expensive, overrated foreign players.

At any rate, the players you have listed I think all have a few years of PL service still in them. With training regimes now and fitness & diet, players can play at the top level well past 30. Look at Drogba (32), Scholes (35), Giggs (36). Maybe you can't play every game in your mid 30s and produce your best, but then neither can a 19 year old. We saw players like Stubbs and Weir have some of their most consistent performances for us when they 33-34.

Howard can do 5 more years, easily. Cahill & Neville 3 more years, and Distin & Saha at least 2 more *good* seasons.

Every squad has this problem, but the trick is to have a youth policy in place and a transfer policy that will let you use it to your advantage and allows you to strengthen in the long run. I believe we have this in place.

Id SELL - Summer

Anichebe 3.5m + future add ons
Vaughan 3.5m + future add ons
Nash FREE - F off bechie
Turner 1.5m + future add ons
Hibbert 4m
Yobo 3.5m
Distin 4m
Osman 8
Yakubu 12m

40 million squids and Id buy

Steven Fletcher nailed on, swapsies for Cheeb and Vaughan
Nedum Onuoha/Micah Richards or a Michael Ciani 5m
Bradley Oar as a cheap, very talented teen no ones heard of 500k
Donovan 8m or Moutinho 15m+
Maybe a cheeky punt on Dzeko or a Grafite 10-15m

And I'd do it all within a week of the window opening and we'd be in the Champions League NAILED ON

Only 3.5 million for Yobo?
I'd put at least another £10 mill on that valuation.

I think you're worrying a bit too much about. As I said, it's only natural, to worry about a player you've spent £10m on getting older and maybe past their sell by date. Back in the days of Smith I agree it was a problem - he sold our young players and bought in aging has-beens. But Moyes has a youth policy that is one of the best in the league. If anything it is Liverpool who have adopted our old ways - I see nothing from them in terms of young players, and all they do year on year now is bring in expensive, overrated foreign players.

At any rate, the players you have listed I think all have a few years of PL service still in them. With training regimes now and fitness & diet, players can play at the top level well past 30. Look at Drogba (32), Scholes (35), Giggs (36). Maybe you can't play every game in your mid 30s and produce your best, but then neither can a 19 year old. We saw players like Stubbs and Weir have some of their most consistent performances for us when they 33-34.

Howard can do 5 more years, easily. Cahill & Neville 3 more years, and Distin & Saha at least 2 more *good* seasons.

Every squad has this problem, but the trick is to have a youth policy in place and a transfer policy that will let you use it to your advantage and allows you to strengthen in the long run. I believe we have this in place.

I couldn't disagree more to be honest about some of your points even if others are valid.
We need to get a squad of similar ages (preferably young) if we are to be able to hold any consistency at the top of the table and build an economical foundation for success.

By not introducing younger players now, we will end up with a large problem in 2 years time, where 7 or 8 players will need to be replaced, either through age or poor form, and we might not have the money.

Regarding our defence, Duffy should be given as much experience as possible, with a loan move to another Prem team, or brought on when we are guaranteed the win. The same could be said for Coleman, as it seems Moyes doesn't have enough faith in the lad to give him a go, despite fans loving the lad.

Yesterday was a perfect example of Moyes only having Rodwell and Gosling at the forefront of his mind, when he could easily have given Coleman or Duffy a run out.

Neville is already off the pace, so no way could he last another 3 years and get anywhere near our first 11 without draining resources regarding wages whilst always a 2nd reserve.
The same can be said for Cahill, who whilst being younger than Neville, has Fellaini, Rodwell, Pienaar, Osman, Arteta, Bilyaletdinov, Gosling, and even Heitinga to deal with, and Nev can add Cahill to that list.

Distin and Saha doing 2 more years will mean they will both leave on a Bosman, where we could easily recoup a profit on these players in the summer, with Saha costing us nothing, and Distin just under £5 mill. Combine their possible transfer valuations with wages for the next 2 years and we're talking well in access of £10 mill, which could buy us a young striker, winger, or central defender. Or we can wait 2 years, then have to shell out for a striker and a defender from scratch, which would then mean having to spend at least a similar figure, bringing the reflective cost to £20 million.

A lot depends on whether we lose any other players, but certainly we can't keep Jags, Heitinga, Yobo, Distin, Senderos and Duffy all happy fighting for 2 places. If we sell Yobo, who on his day was our best defender in the eyes of many, then yes, we can keep Distin, but if he stays, then why keep?

Everton is a business, not a sentimental retirement home for ageing players who haven't been with us very long.

Last edited:
You love the kids you, starting to think that maybe youve got a bit of the Wenger about you.

The facts remain, these players, Saha, Cahill, you know the 1s you want sell in the Summer, they are invaluable to our squad. Saha has scored a ton of goals this season and sadly you dont understand football enough to see the value that Cahill brings to the team.

Laughing at saying you think Yobo is worth £14m tho.

Will be over the moon with no-one out no-one in this summer. (apart from unwanted youngsters like lukas, ruddy, agard, wallace etc). The most important thing is to keep hold of our best players. No-one is facing imminent retirement, so why let them go?

Obviously if we can get donovan in on a permanent deal that would be a massive bonus. If this means selling a squad player like anichebe, vaughan or gosling then so be it. Yobo out Senderos in would be a backward step IMO.

One thing watching everton for 20+ years has taught me- Never think too far ahead, make sure we have the best players possible for the upcoming season. b)

You love the kids you, starting to think that maybe youve got a bit of the Wenger about you.

The facts remain, these players, Saha, Cahill, you know the 1s you want sell in the Summer, they are invaluable to our squad. Saha has scored a ton of goals this season and sadly you dont understand football enough to see the value that Cahill brings to the team.

Laughing at saying you think Yobo is worth £14m tho.

Like I lose sleep worrying about what you think mate. The day you find the art of posting your opinion without having a go at someone I might start taking you seriously.

Sahas goals:

2 against Chelsea Feb 10
1 against City (penalty) Jan 16
1 against Chelsea Dec 12
1 against Spurs Dec 6
1 against Hull (penalty) Nov 25
1 against West Ham Nov 8
1 against Bolton Oct 25
1 against Portsmouth Sep 26
2 against Blackburn Sep 20
1 against Wigan Aug 30
2 against Sigma in Europa Aug 20
1 against Arsenal Aug 15

He's done well this season, but please don't tell me he isn't replaceable, as that it tosh, and we would be better replacing him after selling him for a decent fee than to replace him after he walks on a Bosman should that mean the difference between being able to sign another 'younger' goal machine, or a quality winger or not.
See if Moyes turns down a decent offer again if we get Beckford.

Cahill has been rubbish all season, and just when it looked like he might get going he gets injured. Invaluable? As a squad player perhaps, but as a first 11, no way dude. Fellaini has already shown he can do what Cahill does and more.

As for Yobo, if you think 3.5 mill is a good asking price then good for you. Personally I think it is far too low, given todays market.

Last edited:

All players come to an end. It hurts but maybe Cahill is nearing the end. If Fellaini is going to cement a place I feel Cahill will be the one to miss out. He has had a great career here. Others who may fade from the scene in my opinion will be Pip , Vic and Vaughan.
Only my opinion and what do I know.

Cahill is 30 lads, lets not write him off so soon hey, lots of players, fit players, players like Cahill, can easily play untill they are 35+.

He hasnt been at his best this Season, but hes far from finished, some people are so quick to disgard players.

Louis Saha has scored 15 goals in 25 starts for the club this season, his record speaks for itself. Why would Moyes sell him in the summer after giving him a two year contract not so long ago? It just isn't realistic, he's a quality player, and has comfortably been one of our best players this season.

A player like Jermaine Beckford shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Louis Saha or Yakubu, they are in a different League. We may find younger yes, but we'll struggle to find anyone with better or even similar quality with the limited budget we have. There's no way Moyes would swap Louis Saha for him, or get rid of Saha to bring him to the club.

As for Cahill, I honestly don't think many teams would come in for him. I don't think he has resale value anymore, any manager with a decent knowledge of him wouldn't pay big money to take him off us. He's 30 now and has to play in a certain system to get the best out of him.

So whilst he still has a part to play I'll be disappointed if he's still a regular next season. It's a position we need to strengthen in.

You like the fact that we go long far too much with him in the side? How many teams play a battering ram in that position? The best teams have players with technique and creativity.

There's no room for sentiment in football, Cahill has been a wonderful player for this club and has helped us progress, he still has a part to play, but there's no doubting we need to improve and move with the times.

If he ups his game and brings more to the table then fair enough, but I don't think he will. We all know what Tim Cahill does and doesn't do.

Status
Not open for further replies.