Ages, casualties, and squad progression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hes needed within the team tho, he hasnt been replaced, Fellaini is clearly now going to play as a DM, I think, after the way hes played there, he would be wasted further advanced.

If we are going to buy Dzeko or Hunterlaar, then we might possibly not need what Cahill brings to the table, but untill hes replaced, he is our focal point for attacks.

He's the focal point for our aimless long balls, something we should be looking to cut down on. As I said, I don't want Cahill sold and I don't agree that's he's finished, but I do want us to improve the way we play and progress as a club.

And Fellaini isn't the type of player we need for the role either. A pacy striker or a more creative player is what we need, not a battering ram.

The more I think about it the more I realise how difficult Cahill is going to be to replace. Not because he's a particularly outstanding player, but because the position he fills is one of the hardest to play. It will be very interesting to see how Moyes develops a new formation and what players he chooses for each place.

This is a bit of a non event for me to be honest, i see nothing wrong with haviing a large squad with a few expierenced heads in it especially if those heads tend to be Neville or Cahill.

We have just finished a trawl of the youth team players with many looking very promiseing. We have a lot of first team players under 35 who will be the lynch pins of our sides for years to come.

We have gotten to the stage after years of work were we only need to strengthen a couple of positions every season - this will more then make up for natural wastage - ut i wouldnt be to quick to wirte of some players hitting or approaching 30 just yet. Expierence is vital see Utd Manchester.

Like I lose sleep worrying about what you think mate. The day you find the art of posting your opinion without having a go at someone I might start taking you seriously.

Sahas goals:

2 against Chelsea Feb 10
1 against City (penalty) Jan 16
1 against Chelsea Dec 12
1 against Spurs Dec 6
1 against Hull (penalty) Nov 25
1 against West Ham Nov 8
1 against Bolton Oct 25
1 against Portsmouth Sep 26
2 against Blackburn Sep 20
1 against Wigan Aug 30
2 against Sigma in Europa Aug 20
1 against Arsenal Aug 15

He's done well this season, but please don't tell me he isn't replaceable, as that it tosh, and we would be better replacing him after selling him for a decent fee than to replace him after he walks on a Bosman should that mean the difference between being able to sign another 'younger' goal machine, or a quality winger or not.See if Moyes turns down a decent offer again if we get Beckford.

Cahill has been rubbish all season, and just when it looked like he might get going he gets injured. Invaluable? As a squad player perhaps, but as a first 11, no way dude. Fellaini has already shown he can do what Cahill does and more.

As for Yobo, if you think 3.5 mill is a good asking price then good for you. Personally I think it is far too low, given todays market.

Saha signed a two year extension recently. So he won't be going on a Bosman anytime soon

Phil Neville will leave in the coming seasons, hopefully he will be converted into one of Moyes coaching staff.

Saha signed a two year extension recently. So he won't be going on a Bosman anytime soon

You're missing the point.
BECAUSE he has signed an extension, any team that approaches him would have to cough up. In 2 years time, he walks on a free. In one years time, or there or there abouts ( let's not be tied to a date here ) he can agree terms with a club regarding his next move, and there is zilch Everon can do, because he will be in the final year of his contract, just like Beckford has agreed to join us, and Leeds can't prevent him leaving. They simply run it down, or buy their way out.
The same opportunity will present itself to Pienaar and Gosling soon.

My point is that if Saha makes it to Africa, and has a good World Cup, then you can guarantee teams will bid for him.

Should a large bid come in, we would be mad not to take it, as the proceeds could bring another player in on a 5 year deal, where as keeping Saha only guarantees us 1 year, and not 2 as some think. It all depends on the size of the extension deal he was given, which we don't really know the details of.

Even if he stayed for the 2 years, we have no guarantee that most of that won't be spent with his feet up whilst recuperating from an injury, and if he does stay fit, which would bankrupt every bookie in Liverpool, we have no guarantee that he will still produce the goods.

I'm not saying sell sell sell.
I'm just saying both Moyes and Saha, and indeed Moyes and Cahill would have to consider any offers that came in.

To be honest with you BBcat, you're wrong there. He's signed a two year extension from next season so that means it would be 20 months time before he could talk to other clubs, which is a lot of soccer and boss goals in between.

This is a bit of a non event for me to be honest, i see nothing wrong with haviing a large squad with a few expierenced heads in it especially if those heads tend to be Neville or Cahill.

We have just finished a trawl of the youth team players with many looking very promiseing. We have a lot of first team players under 35 who will be the lynch pins of our sides for years to come.

We have gotten to the stage after years of work were we only need to strengthen a couple of positions every season - this will more then make up for natural wastage - ut i wouldnt be to quick to wirte of some players hitting or approaching 30 just yet. Expierence is vital see Utd Manchester.

United haven't had to sell because they were the richest team in the world untill recently, so didn't need to worry about buying players when needed, or paying wages to players on the bench.
They've just sold 1 player that we could have bought our entire team with the proceeds of that deal. We really can't compare their structure to ours.

To be honest with you BBcat, you're wrong there. He's signed a two year extension from next season so that means it would be 20 months time before he could talk to other clubs, which is a lot of soccer and boss goals in between.

I did say there or there abouts to be fair fluffster. ;)

He's under contract untill the end of the 2011/12 season.

Last edited:
I did say there or there abouts to be fair fluffster. ;)

He's under contract untill the end of the 2011/12 season.

Cool, so he will be able to talk to someone in 2012 which is just under 2 years away.

By then he will have done all sorts of ace goalage and be looking at picking up one last snoozy paycheck in the US or Qatar or something.

Win/Win man.

Cool, so he will be able to talk to someone in 2012 which is just under 2 years away.

By then he will have done all sorts of ace goalage and be looking at picking up one last snoozy paycheck in the US or Qatar or something.

Win/Win man.

Lol, not quite.
He will be able to talk to someone 'in' his final year, and not after it. Simply put, we have control for one footballing year only on his destiny, plus the remainder of this season.

Lol, not quite.
He will be able to talk to someone 'in' his final year, and not after it. Simply put, we have control for one footballing year only on his destiny, plus the remainder of this season.

He cant talk to someone until the January isn't it? Then move in the summer, which leaves us with over two years of super ace slotting from outside the box all over the show. And great, great muscular thighs.

He's alright for a ginger.

Status
Not open for further replies.