18 months in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure it's a feel good post, but we still haven't overcome that " typical Everton" expectation of disappointment even under RM. Still unfulfilled expectations...

Optimism on GOT?

giphy.gif

Its the 'Moyes' Generation, you can't blame them - me? 10 years is a long time for anyone to move on from for being so worried about the future. I still am, but its clear as day now the results he can produce and the optimism is priceless. Whether its misguided or not, its positive.

I know mate.

I've said it before but it's worth repeating. What's happening now reminds me very much of what happened in the Kendall years. Times have changed and money is much more important than it was now, so I'm not getting carried away and expecting us to win the Premier League in the next two or three seasons, but look at the number of people who went to Lille. There's a huge appetite for success here.

Whether or not we'll go and grab some of that success, nobody knows, but, as a footie fan, if you can't have dreams then you're missing half the point.

Sure it's a feel good post, but we still haven't overcome that " typical Everton" expectation of disappointment even under RM. Still unfulfilled expectations...
Might take another season or 2.but this guy has give me a reason to "Believe".
You think we havent overcome that typical Everton tag...I think your in the minority there fella.
Support is growing again and we can all see better times are round the corner.
Try and dare to believe mate....you'll feel better...trust me.

Bollocks...unfulfilled expectations my arse...he exceeded my expectations by a country mile last season.
If anything he has raised my expectations as a result of exceeding my original expectations last season and I expect him to be expecting that expectations have been raised and fully expects to raise those expectations once again in the coming seasons.

I expect.

Was worried when he took over but i was pretty much converted as soon as he opened his mouth in the very first interview.

Hes given us our pride back, given us hope and belief, hes a man who lives by the clubs values and motto

Moyes brought stability to the club after the awful smith era, but he could never take us to the next level. I guess it was his pragmatic approach to games, set us up to be hard to beat and often we were. In the last years of his tenure, he loved the plucky everton allocade and bemoaned the lack of finances.
Martinez has embraced the job since day one. He is under no illusions about the size of this club. He awakened the sleeping giant last season and strives to improve us. He is attack minded, yes we have shipped too many goals this season, but look how many we have scored (averaging more then 2 goals per game). His demeanour and conduct is exemplary, talks respectfully of other clubs, and is a credit to the football club. Long may continue.

Last edited:
In 18 months we've gone from being in the mind of the manager, proud "over-achievers" who perhaps had reached a ceiling to expecting greater things and the real prospects of silverware in coming years.

Expectations have risen enormously on the back of an incredibly positive manager, a stronger squad and an ever improving style of football (even with the variable results so far this season).

We travel in hope, the crucial difference being we are on an upward curve and genuinely closing the gap between ourselves and those with stronger squads and much greater budgets.

In addition we've re-found our belief, we're no longer over-achieving, we're currently under-achieving with the expectation of achieving more in the near future.

7/10 so far.

Plus points being;
  • Record points haul
  • Longest winning streak
  • 5th place finish and qualifying for Europe
  • Introducing more youth and energy to the team
  • Increasing the squad size and utilising the loan system
  • Playing attacking football away to top teams
  • Breaking the record signing fee
  • Singing Eto'o
  • A positive media persona
  • Signing important players up on long term contracts
Negative points being;

• Robles
  • Team selection for the FA cup against Arsenal
  • poor tactics against the RS away
  • signing Toure on loan while he was injured and we needed strenghting
  • Very poor pre season planning

All in all he's certainly well in credit and we're on the up and things are going in the right direction, the only big bug bear from this season has been the poor start due to a clear lack of preperation and a lack of honestly when it comes to players being out injured and how long they'll be and what their problems are.

Last edited:
I think Martinez is trying his best to overcome that. Signing experienced players with the winning mentality of Eto and Barry is huge. Allied to this is a core of young talented players who are desperate to improve and play without fear and for the shirt. Martinez has only been here 18 months, but it might take him another 18 months for him to get the personnel into the club that he wants to play the way he wants. But I for one under martinezs stewardship have more confidence that we could see silverware since the Kendall era. That team was packed with winners 'rats, Reid, gray etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.