Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't he was in the correct position it was the wall that was the problem, both in the way it was set up (which is down to Howard) and in the way it fell apart!
Forget the wall for a minute. The fact is if Larsson had cleared the top of the wall (ie the wall couldn't have stopped it) Howards positioning meant he wouldn't have got to it.

Howards fault that simply. Well, taking away the stupid foul by Baines in the first place.

Howard gets fingertips to it. If Howard is even one small side step towards the centre, he could have got a full hand to it and still have his side of the goal covered.

Suarez's FK last season was very similar. TH is too far to his side of the goal.

Howards fault that simply. Well, taking away the stupid foul by Baines in the first place.

Howard gets fingertips to it. If Howard is even one small side step towards the centre, he could have got a full hand to it and still have his side of the goal covered.

Suarez's FK last season was very similar. TH is too far to his side of the goal.

See now that's the reason he had two men wide of the post on the left of the wall which people questioned on Sunday, he's also further to his far side post in that instance and his positioning for the goal on Sunday was a lot more central.

The fact of the matter is when you're facing somebody like Suarez, Gerrard or even Larson who are all extremely good at taking free kicks goalkeepers will get beaten by them. There's not one goalkeeper in the league who's infallible.

See now that's the reason he had two men wide of the post on the left of the wall which people questioned on Sunday, he's also further to his far side post in that instance and his positioning for the goal on Sunday was a lot more central.

The fact of the matter is when you're facing somebody like Suarez, Gerrard or even Larson who are all extremely good at taking free kicks goalkeepers will get beaten by them. There's not one goalkeeper in the league who's infallible.

True, but when Sunderlands only decent FK taker is a right footed Larsson, the men outside the post is not required at that angle. It was an OK fk, but nothing more. If it's top corner or a belter then I accept it's virtually unstoppable, but Sundays was avoidable. I blame the outfield for giving away a FK in that position more tbh, as I like to think we're cleverer than that, but Howard has to do better if we want to challenge top 4 again.

Poor wall, poor position.

True, but when Sunderlands only decent FK taker is a right footed Larsson, the men outside the post is not required at that angle. It was an OK fk, but nothing more. If it's top corner or a belter then I accept it's virtually unstoppable, but Sundays was avoidable. I blame the outfield for giving away a FK in that position more tbh, as I like to think we're cleverer than that, but Howard has to do better if we want to challenge top 4 again.

Poor wall, poor position.

If Barkey doesn't move his head out the way the wall does it job it was lined up to do, it's really that simple.

Howard can't be blamed for other people's mistakes.

If Barkey doesn't move his head out the way the wall does it job it was lined up to do, it's really that simple.

Howard can't be blamed for other people's mistakes.

I know what you mean but he can be blamed for the lining up of the wall. Thats where the blame stops with him though, all this positioning talk is none sense.

I know what you mean but he can be blamed for the lining up of the wall. Thats where the blame stops with him though, all this positioning talk is none sense.

But if Barkley doesn't move his head then the ball hits him and this point about the wall postion is none existent because he postponed correctly and it did its job. The fact Barkley moves out of the way from the line of the ball and it pass through the area he's moved from and goes in means Howard set it up correctly and Barkley let him down, as you say his postioning isn't a problem either.

That was an unbelievable free kick. The wall should have been better but I think that was going in no matter what.

and Gerrards this season

That was an unbelievable free kick. The wall should have been better but I think that was going in no matter what.
Unbrelieavable my *****. It had the strength of a slightly overhit back pass. The only reason it went in was that Howard had to make up so much ground!

The players in that wall came together like a concertina, not Howards Fault that. Its pretty much agreed on this thread that Larson is a very good taker of free kicks, we all know what Suarez can do, as well as Gerrard (even if Tim should of had his feet on the floor as the ball was struck the other week).
What about some free kicks he has let in from average players because of his poor position and organization of the wall? Its one thing getting beat by top players but if he was that bad any idiot would be getting the ball past his wall and into the net.

When Baines scores a belting free kicks we give him the credit, next time he scores a great free kick i guess it will only be down to bad goal keeping. Any keeper can be beaten by free kicks at any time, sometimes you just have to credit the scorer without over analysing the keeper and wish the outfield player hadn't of handed them an opportunity with a foul made in a dangerous area.

There are deeper problems than one arguable free kick.

He isn't really poor and he isn't very good. He's up and down.

Agreed he's more 'up' than down but that isn't enough if you have ambitions to achieve more.

Status
Not open for further replies.