Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think you can blame Howard for the goal. He has to choose a side and leave the wall to cover the other side. If you're into blame, blame the players in the wall who failed to react to the Sunderland players making space in it....

Thats how free kicks work, you beat the wall within a yard of the post and you score 90% of the time.

The wall was set up wrong on sunday but your wrong on where Howard should stand, Its the keepers job to cover far side of the goal and then do his upmost to stop anything that ends up on target at the near post.

What do you think is harder getting it up & down over the wall and on target at te near post or having a free shot at the far post with no keeper or wall to beat?

I think it's safe to say that we both agree that the wall was set up wrong. Surely Howard has to take some blame for that being the goalkeeper though? How has he allowed the wall to be stood in front of an area that isn't covering the goal?

Regarding where Howard should be stood, you say i'm wrong, but this is the third freekick I can think of this season where Howard has been beaten at the near post. The Wolfsburg freekick was unstoppable so I don't blame him for that, but the Gerrard one and particularly Larsson the other day weren't great freekicks.

It's easier to move over to the far post than the near one as well as the ball has to travel further and it would take a great freekick to beat him on that post. Not the fairly average ones by Larsson and Gerrard.

I think it's safe to say that we both agree that the wall was set up wrong. Surely Howard has to take some blame for that being the goalkeeper though? How has he allowed the wall to be stood in front of an area that isn't covering the goal?

Regarding where Howard should be stood, you say i'm wrong, but this is the third freekick I can think of this season where Howard has been beaten at the near post. The Wolfsburg freekick was unstoppable so I don't blame him for that, but the Gerrard one and particularly Larsson the other day weren't great freekicks.

It's easier to move over to the far post than the near one as well as the ball has to travel further and it would take a great freekick to beat him on that post. Not the fairly average ones by Larsson and Gerrard.

thats how 95% of keepers set up mate, its just how it is. look at jaskelinen last season (its the perfect example), the 1st free kick he sets up like you would like howard to and baines doesnt have to beat anyone as he puts it in the top corner. Then he sets up in the conventional way and Baines now has to beat either the keeper on his side or get it up and over the wall.

every pundit that day says the 2nd free kick was better

When he's on form he is top top class, he's just ridiculously unpredictable at the moment.

Reminding of Reina for the RS, don't know what he's going to do.

We do need to sign a good keeper either in January or the summer but there aren't too many about, David Marshall springs to mind as someone who would definitely come. Begovic another...

seems to have gone through some kind of spiritual revolution or something, judging by the zaneyness of some of his recent interviews.

He's never been the most well balanced mentality wise for me.

If you believe his positioning was OK take a look at the video on p129 of the Sunderland v Everton thread. He was a good yard too far to his left.

He wasn't he was in the correct position it was the wall that was the problem, both in the way it was set up (which is down to Howard) and in the way it fell apart!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 102

Status
Not open for further replies.