Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. Whatever the issue is, it is a problem. We're conceding too many goals from 25yd free kicks, when the keeper is getting nowhere near to keeping the ball out. Let's hope our Spanish goalkeeping coach is reassessing the whole thing, whether it's the players in the wall, the lining up of the wall, or the keeper's starting position.

Ok. Whatever the issue is, it is a problem. We're conceding too many goals from 25yd free kicks, when the keeper is getting nowhere near to keeping the ball out. Let's hope our Spanish goalkeeping coach is reassessing the whole thing, whether it's the players in the wall, the lining up of the wall, or the keeper's starting position.

Are we really, though? We've conceded two this season from memory. By one month in to the season last year we'd scored at least two. I think we can look at some horrendous defending before we worry about free kicks.

Two from 25 yards each that both entered the net 3 ft inside the post is two too many.

To be fair mate if Baines scored 2 free kicks 3ft inside the post we wouldnt think it was goalkeeper error, goals happen, mistakes happen, if they didnt every game would end 0 0.

Tim a top keeper, yes he has made a few mistakes this season, like every other player in the squad, even the ones we like

Anyway wel done to him for being U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year :)

Tim Howard wins U.S. Soccer Male Athlete of the Year
http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2014/11/20/7256255/tim-howard-us-soccer-male-athlete-of-year-everton

Tim cannot command his own box, flaps at stuff he should gather, does not lead from the back and inspires NO confidence in his back four, does not know how to set up a wall, and does extravagant nonsense when he should just boot it into the stands. He IS an excellent shot stopper and sometimes reaction improvises that saves a lot of close range shots. Ultimately, I think he is an inspired reaction saver, but if you give him any time to think about his responsibilities he really underperforms. Read all my posts. I never diss any Everton player, but I really think Tim either needs competition or he needs replacing. Sorry. I think he is a real achilles heel for us.

Tim cannot command his own box, flaps at stuff he should gather, does not lead from the back and inspires NO confidence in his back four, does not know how to set up a wall, and does extravagant nonsense when he should just boot it into the stands. He IS an excellent shot stopper and sometimes reaction improvises that saves a lot of close range shots. Ultimately, I think he is an inspired reaction saver, but if you give him any time to think about his responsibilities he really underperforms. Read all my posts. I never diss any Everton player, but I really think Tim either needs competition or he needs replacing. Sorry. I think he is a real achilles heel for us.

Unfortunately your description reminds me too much of David James

they've got quite a bit more confidence in Howard than they do Joel. You could see the nerves in the back 4 v Arsenal

why has he never had a goalkeeping coach teaching his positioning? he gets lobbed a lot of times from deflections for a keeper - he stands way too far off his line when people are shooting from range. the whole point of coming out is to narrow the angle and make less of the goal visible for the striker - it doesn't work like that when you're 20-25 yards out in the centre of goal. he's making more chances of the goal by being so far off his line because he opens the possibility for being lobbed.

flapped at a couple of crosses as well. again, he's had very little to do and not got a clean sheet.

it's been time for robles for a while now - not impressed with tim whatsoever.

I wish we had 2 better keepers.

I'm not hating on Howard (maybe I am on Robles a bit).

I just wish we had better ones.

For a £3m signing he has done a very good job for us down the years. For 95% of the time he does little wrong, but you know that there is an absolute howler lurking somewhere in the shadows.

Status
Not open for further replies.