Tim Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he had a good, looked comfortable on crosses and was very unlucky to be beaten by a wicked deflection.

why's he getting lobbed by a deflection? i don't see how being 7 yards off your line for a 20 yard shot has any positive impact, compared to staying 1 or 2 yards off it. it makes it easier for the striker to curl it around the keeper and into the bottom corner - think about it. if he's standing on his line with someone 25 yards out, they can't bend it around him and into the goal, they can with howard though.

why's he getting lobbed by a deflection? i don't see how being 7 yards off your line for a 20 yard shot has any positive impact, compared to staying 1 or 2 yards off it. it makes it easier for the striker to curl it around the keeper and into the bottom corner - think about it. if he's standing on his line with someone 25 yards out, they can't bend it around him and into the goal, they can with howard though.

Firstly he's not getting lobbed the ball has looped over his head. Next if he's on his line and someone shots from 20 yards he's got a bigger target to hit as Howard has more of the goal to cover, by coming forward and reducing the distance between himself and the ball Howard has made himself big and the goal small.

It's basic goalkeeping jack, there'd have been all sorts of moaning (and rightly so) if he'd stayed on his line as a player comes within shooting distance of his goal.

Firstly he's not getting lobbed the ball has looped over his head. Next if he's on his line and someone shots from 20 yards he's got a bigger target to hit as Howard has more of the goal to cover, by coming forward and reducing the distance between himself and the ball Howard has made himself big and the goal small.

It's basic goalkeeping jack, there'd have been all sorts of moaning (and rightly so) if he'd stayed on his line as a player comes within shooting distance of his goal.

i just see it differently. it happens to often for my liking - just think he inadvertently makes a goal more likely by thinking he's narrowing the target. it's clearly the case for one on ones, but from 25 yards out - i don't think it has the same effect. he has these annoying habbits that p*ss me off that i think should have been picked up by now. the way he always makes himself small from one on ones and usually does some weird dive the wrong way is another one. we let in a lot of deflected goals.

i just see it differently. it happens to often for my liking - just think he inadvertently makes a goal more likely by thinking he's narrowing the target. it's clearly the case for one on ones, but from 25 yards out - i don't think it has the same effect. he has these annoying habbits that p*ss me off that i think should have been picked up by now. the way he always makes himself small from one on ones and usually does some weird dive the wrong way is another one. we let in a lot of deflected goals.
I don't think we have any hope of winning anything with Tim in goals, we need a more dependable keeper. Begovic maybe

Jack today's goal was just one of them things, we could have done better earlier to stop them getting a shot off but once the West Ham player does and McCarthy and Distin don't get a block on it Jags and Howard are just unlucky.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say either we were lucky or unlucky because fortune plays a large part in goals at times, and no one directly involved was at fault. It doesn't always have to be someone's fault.

Jack today's goal was just one of them things, we could have done better earlier to stop them getting a shot off but once the West Ham player does and McCarthy and Distin don't get a block on it Jags and Howard are just unlucky.

Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say either we were lucky or unlucky because fortune plays a large part in goals at times, and no one directly involved was at fault. It doesn't always have to be someone's fault.

or you could say if he wasn't 8 yards out of his goal, the ball would have looped safely into his hands. jagielka could have thrown his body at the shot rather than a half-arsed turn that he did.

not going to get much success by holding hands up and saying every deflection etc. is bad luck, you can analyze things and learn from them though

Christ Almighty.

I'm not his biggest fan but he had no chance with the goal.

He did really well to collect so many crosses with West Ham's giants trying to do him in every time the ball was in the area and made two good saves when he had to.

Good performance today.

Status
Not open for further replies.