Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
He stayed too long I think, but he definately did quite a lot of good for us and left us stronger than when he came in

Martinez has on more than one occasion remarked on what a good set up Moyes left for him.

He's upper middle I'd say. Underneath the really good ones but by no means down with Smith and Walker

I did say 'what looked like bog standard talent'. Lescott, Jagielka Coleman, Cahill. I think the whole PL would have shunned or not even registered they existed. Moyes' talent especially was to see that it didn't take tens of millions to fill defences out and be solid. Obviously he has an eye for a flair player too like Mirallas.

I agree mate, he's quality at transfers with little budget, especially defenders and CM and indeed wingers, not so much at RW though or the Striker position, never really sorted that in all his time, but the rest yeah he spotted the quality players and the potential within them others didn't.

If we'd won that Final in 2009, he'd be universally loved

No he would not.

Trophy or no trophy - any blue worth their salt couldn't turn a blind eye to his deeply disrespectful actions after he left. Just no way.

That said, the ill will I had for him has subsided quite a bit, because His sacking at United, and the whole timing and manner of it. Gave me personally the pound of flesh I craved.

His actions shall never be forgotten with me though.

A new employer having an employee stab a former employer in the back is no surprise. "Show your loyalty and prove your worth"

It's been a while but we eventually took to Rooney again.

Football is littered with conflicting loyalties, for every Dennis Law backheel there are a thousand misguided celebrations later regretted.

A new employer having an employee stab a former employer in the back is no surprise. "Show your loyalty and prove your worth"

It's been a while but we eventually took to Rooney again.

Football is littered with conflicting loyalties, for every Dennis Law backheel there are a thousand misguided celebrations later regretted.

Wait, hold the Nokia 3210, we like Rooney now? When did that happen?

Since his Dad kept his season ticket and his grandson were brought up on what we all live and die by.
sticking his lad in an Everton kit made me warm to him, I don't really have any bad feelings about Rooney now other than a little regret and disappointment that he left, moved on.

article-0-0CEE158500000578-736_468x592.jpg

kai.jpg

If we'd won that Final in 2009, he'd be universally loved
No he would not.

Trophy or no trophy - any blue worth their salt couldn't turn a blind eye to his deeply disrespectful actions after he left. Just no way.

That said, the ill will I had for him has subsided quite a bit, because His sacking at United, and the whole timing and manner of it. Gave me personally the pound of flesh I craved.

His actions shall never be forgotten with me though.
I think the truth is somewhere in between here.

I'd have a lot more respect for him if he'd kept his gob shut about Baines and Fellaini after leaving.

I do hope over time some can drop the bitterness towards moyes and give him the credit he deserves for turning our fortunes around.

He picked us up in a dark place and if ANYONE at that time had been offered what he did for us on a shoe string, fighting the billions of others you WOULD of snapped their hands off!

His actions when he left obvs soured a lot. He will not now ever get rapturous welcomes at GP, but nor should he get hatefull ones IMO. A bit of mutual respect from both sides of what once was would be the way forward.

I do hope over time some can drop the bitterness towards moyes and give him the credit he deserves for turning our fortunes around.

He picked us up in a dark place and if ANYONE at that time had been offered what he did for us on a shoe string, fighting the billions of others you WOULD of snapped their hands off!

His actions when he left obvs soured a lot. He will not now ever get rapturous welcomes at GP, but nor should he get hatefull ones IMO. A bit of mutual respect from both sides of what once was would be the way forward.

The truth is, what Moyes achieved with us, Martinez could not of. What Martinez is set to achieve with us, Moyes could not.

My only thought on it would be that Moyes maybe stayed a little too long, but had he not of, then Martinez wouldn't be here.
Everything for a reason.

Last edited:
Everton played in a very reactive way under Moyes. We always needed to because Moyes was a very cautious manager and sent out sides to fence with teams until we were getting a chasing and/or fell behind. Yes, there were thrilling moments, but they were few and far between - and you'd expect a few thrilling moments in 11 years!

He's a very functional manager. Personally I think the game has moved on from manager's like Moyes who just rely on solid organisation and good work rate. His strength was not really coaching it was buying in what looked like bog standard talent but who could easily cut it at PL level.

You could replace Moyes with Simeone or even Mourinho and that would perfectly describe them too.

Football hasn't moved on. If anything given how teams pass and move and the way they press in defence work-rate is more important today than ever.

As we found out on Saturday you need to be fit before you can even begin to start playing football.

Palace to hire Tim Sherwood, the ideal replacement for Pulis would be Moyes. Alas, I think Moyes ego is a little bit out there to manage a lower level Prem club. He still believes he was hashly treated at Man United. Some may say he was, but I would argue and say he played for bigger stakes and suffered bigger risks.

Well that's Palace down.

Perfect job for Moyes, is Aston Villa.
An identical sized club to us, is an almost identical position as to when Moyes joined us.
His strength is stabilising, gets a club back to basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.