Remembering Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just needed an on form slotter like early Jelavic to finish strong.

True dat.

If Jelavic had kicked on in the first half of the season and the manager had remained focused in the second half who knows what we might have achieved in that final year of the Moyes era.

We just needed an on form slotter like early Jelavic to finish strong.

The momentum left us in January and February. Convinced we'd have taken top 4 to the wire if we'd invested in the squad during that winter transfer window.

And like you say, not having a top striker cost us, still fume about how we drew that Fulham game 2-2.

I can never just disregard the good job he did for us when he arrived and got us to a point where I wasn't fearing relegation at the start of the season. After the 90's that alone was a big relief.

Moyes found his level, he peaked here and was given the time to do his thing. Financially we couldn't compete but I fear his methods are more suited for avoiding defeat, he was never going to get us any higher.

It showed at Utd, no way his style of football was going to endear fans who were used to winning trophies. He had loyal players here who played for him. The 'superstars' at Utd thought they were bigger than the manager. I feel he was set up to fail from the off.

However after his snide comments about us after he left, he got what he deserved.

Mate anything was exciting from what we'd watched thru the 90's.

It's a myth that moyes played boring football. History is starting to be re-written and him labeled as Big Sam, which moyes's football was never like that. It also got better as did his players.

Exactly.

In the first few years we were very functional.
In the middle years (particularly 06-08) we had periods of playing great stuff but the thin squad meant when a key player (Arteta in particular) were injured we reverted to functional stuff
09-11 wasn't attractive but that coincided with losing key players and having zero money to spend - 18 months with no first team signing
From the Gibson/Jelavic window until he left you really saw the team improve its style. How anyone could watch us in his last year and say we were some long ball team amazes me. Look at the goals from that season - there are some really good team goals. The one in his final home game against West Ham was awesome.

Roberto is doing a great job so far and has taken us on even further BUT he started from a point that had taken Moyes 11 years to get us to*. I can't think of any other example of a manager who has turned a regular struggler into a hugely consistent top 7 finishing team without large sums of money.

* and I'd argue when asked to do the job with Wigan as Moyes did to Everton he failed.

It's a myth that moyes played boring football. History is starting to be re-written and him labeled as Big Sam, which moyes's football was never like that. It also got better as did his players.

Yea I remember being at Goodison when we thumped Keane's Sunderland 7-1 and my mate turned to me and asked if we had been swapped with Barca.

That midfield of Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar and Osman weren't exactly a hoofball team. Frankly I'm not sure if our current team is better. He was a bit negative in his tactics which is why I think that team didn't do better.

However there was plenty of good footballing performances under Moyes. We put Fellaini up front and played Hoofball the last season or so because we had no strikers. But when we had Yakubu, Saha, Cahill etc we played some really good stuff.

Last edited:

It wasn't a myth mate, i sat through all of it.

Exactly.

In the first few years we were very functional.
In the middle years (particularly 06-08) we had periods of playing great stuff but the thin squad meant when a key player (Arteta in particular) were injured we reverted to functional stuff
09-11 wasn't attractive but that coincided with losing key players and having zero money to spend - 18 months with no first team signing
From the Gibson/Jelavic window until he left you really saw the team improve its style. How anyone could watch us in his last year and say we were some long ball team amazes me. Look at the goals from that season - there are some really good team goals. The one in his final home game against West Ham was awesome.

Roberto is doing a great job so far and has taken us on even further BUT he started from a point that had taken Moyes 11 years to get us to*. I can't think of any other example of a manager who has turned a regular struggler into a hugely consistent top 7 finishing team without large sums of money.

* and I'd argue when asked to do the job with Wigan as Moyes did to Everton he failed.
Everton played in a very reactive way under Moyes. We always needed to because Moyes was a very cautious manager and sent out sides to fence with teams until we were getting a chasing and/or fell behind. Yes, there were thrilling moments, but they were few and far between - and you'd expect a few thrilling moments in 11 years!

He's a very functional manager. Personally I think the game has moved on from manager's like Moyes who just rely on solid organisation and good work rate. His strength was not really coaching it was buying in what looked like bog standard talent but who could easily cut it at PL level. Moyes knew what a sham this league is in terms of real quality and exploited that by buying decent low cost players who had bags of energy and could work in a disciplined manner.

For me, he's best getting himself into a Championship club and getting back into the PL that way. Most PL chairmen these days are looking for the next 'strategical genius' off the production line to ever entertain Moyes now.

Palace to hire Tim Sherwood, the ideal replacement for Pulis would be Moyes. Alas, I think Moyes ego is a little bit out there to manage a lower level Prem club. He still believes he was hashly treated at Man United. Some may say he was, but I would argue and say he played for bigger stakes and suffered bigger risks.

Everton played in a very reactive way under Moyes. We always needed to because Moyes was a very cautious manager and sent out sides to fence with teams until we were getting a chasing and/or fell behind. Yes, there were thrilling moments, but they were few and far between - and you'd expect a few thrilling moments in 11 years!

Yeah fair(ish), think we had a lot more good times than he's credited with, but he was definitely a reactive coach, using stats to work out where a team would be vulnerable, and how to counter their main threats, often using our best players to counter the oppositions when he should be trusting that our best is better than theirs.

He's a very functional manager. Personally I think the game has moved on from manager's like Moyes who just rely on solid organisation and good work rate. His strength was not really coaching it was buying in what looked like bog standard talent but who could easily cut it at PL level. Moyes knew what a sham this league is in terms of real quality and exploited that by buying decent low cost players who had bags of energy and could work in a disciplined manner.

Don't buy any of that though, Mirallas, Baines, Jags, Distin, Cahill, Arteta, Lescott, Coleman are clearly not bog standard talent, and no bog standard talent can easily cut it at PL level, the league isn't a sham and that entire paragraph has literally no substance, the last line included since we also had plenty of non workhorses such as Saha, Anichebe and Yakubu getting regular starts.

For me, he's best getting himself into a Championship club and getting back into the PL that way. Most PL chairmen these days are looking for the next 'strategical genius' off the production line to ever entertain Moyes now.

Could be right on that one, or maybe even going abroad, but I suspect that all but maybe 5 teams in the league have watched us in envy over the last decade, and I suspect they all have a certain admiration for where we have sat for a long time, and the finances taken to achieve that position, and I suspect that if Allerdyce can get a job in the prem, Moyes would have no problem doing the same if he wanted to.

Don't buy any of that though, Mirallas, Baines, Jags, Distin, Cahill, Arteta, Lescott, Coleman are clearly not bog standard talent, and no bog standard talent can easily cut it at PL level, the league isn't a sham and that entire paragraph has literally no substance, the last line included since we also had plenty of non workhorses such as Saha, Anichebe and Yakubu getting regular starts.

I did say 'what looked like bog standard talent'. Lescott, Jagielka Coleman, Cahill. I think the whole PL would have shunned or not even registered they existed. Moyes' talent especially was to see that it didn't take tens of millions to fill defences out and be solid. Obviously he has an eye for a flair player too like Mirallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.