Fellaini CM

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's our best option there at the moment. If you look at just that position, you're suggesting either Osman or Naismith instead of Marouane Fellaini. Are either of them more dangerous than him?

I prefer him further back too, but we're not exactly blessed with top quality forwards are we.

Barkley could do a job there, he has a touch of potential you'd say?

He's our best option there at the moment. If you look at just that position, you're suggesting either Osman or Naismith instead of Marouane Fellaini. Are either of them more dangerous than him?

I prefer him further back too, but we're not exactly blessed with top quality forwards are we.

While not midfield, I'd rather see Vellios get a regular starting place alongside Jelavic.

Then Fellaini could shine in attacking mid.

Maybe a bit too attacking? Always see Velios as a like for like Jelavic replacement, I may have judged him wrongly based on the little I've seen of him though.

Mirallas behind the striker would be ace too.

Maybe a bit too attacking? Always see Velios as a like for like Jelavic replacement, I may have judged him wrongly based on the little I've seen of him though.

Mirallas behind the striker would be ace too.

You'd drop Osman and play Gibson and Fellaini in the middle wth the two wingers and the two strikers ahead of them.

I actually think that's more defensive then the way we've been playing with Fellaini up the pitch and Osman bombing forward.

You'd drop Osman and play Gibson and Fellaini in the middle wth the two wingers and the two strikers ahead of them.

I actually think that's more defensive then the way we've been playing with Fellaini up the pitch and Osman bombing forward.

Yeah it is really isn't it, because Fellaini and Gibson essentially start doing similar jobs. You could say Gibson has taken Arteta's role (and doing it better than he did in his last 12 months which pains me to say), and I remember a lot of 5 yard sideways passes and generally not getting very advanced on the field. At least Felliani is an outlet.

I still love the idea of Mirallas carving through defences in the middle of the park though, not sure if it'd be effective with less space and more players to beat, but it's got a bit of FIFA about it.

Yeah it is really isn't it, because Fellaini and Gibson essentially start doing similar jobs. You could say Gibson has taken Arteta's role (and doing it better than he did in his last 12 months which pains me to say), and I remember a lot of 5 yard sideways passes and generally not getting very advanced on the field. At least Felliani is an outlet.

A Fellaini Gibson partnership looks good on paper because Fellaini can charge about being destructive and winning balls and Gibson can watch the runners and mop up if Fellaini doesn't win it and present for the ball and then pick the long passes from the back if Fellaini does.

In practice, we haven't really tried if often enough to judge.

Fellaini's great asset, no matter where he plays is his ability to win balls, aerial balls, challenges, whatever. He's great at getting the ball, shrugging off challenges and passing it on. The main reason I prefer him further up the pitch is that the higher he wins it the more attacking it is for us and also the less drastic the consequences for him going for a challenge and getting beat by runners, which happens to him as a direct consequence of his style and that he looks for the ball more than he looks to hold a position.

Playing him behind Gibson would I think cripple both of them, Gibson wouldn't get the time on the ball he currently enjoys and Fellaini wouldn't get to charge around trying to win the ball and bring down hoofs. But in front of Gibson, with four runners beyond to aim at, it could turn out to be brilliant. We haven't really tried it.

I just really like the way we currently play, to be honest. I don't want Moyes to change what might be the first of his teams I unambiguously love.

I don't like the way we currently play because we don't score enough goals and were it not for a bit of luck with that Jelavic goal we'd be looking at one win from our last 11 games.

If Fellaini moving back means we score more then i'm all for it, and i feel we might as well try it. What's the worst that can happen, we lose instead of drawing again and drop a point.

At this point winning games is way more important than playing lovely stuff, our points target is way off what it should be to feel optimistic about the chance of CL (or even Europa League) footy. While you can look at the league table and get some reassurance from the fact that we're fourth and teams below us haven't been getting as many points as you'd expect either, you can be sure it won't stay that way.

We need to kick on and start winning games on the trot, if that means sticking two up front and moving Fellaini back to shore up the midfield than lets do it, or at least try it and see what happens.

Why don't we leave Fellaini where he is, AND play a second (or rather third) striking option?

Gibbo is so ace he could boss the centre circle by himself.

I don't like the way we currently play because we don't score enough goals and were it not for a bit of luck with that Jelavic goal we'd be looking at one win from our last 11 games.

How was that Jelavic goal lucky?

Basically I feel like this current system will win us games, it hasn't won us too many so far but I can see it nearly working and there have been mitigating circumstances (injuries, dodgy decisions etc). I'm not ready to ditch it just yet.

I've always thought Howard would be good on the wing tbh

He's no good on the end of crosses, may as well see if he's good at the beginning of them right?

Also, playing 2 strikers and a CAM on FIFA with 2 attacking wingers is goalfest, real football should be like this.

He's no good on the end of crosses, may as well see if he's good at the beginning of them right?

Also, playing 2 strikers and a CAM on FIFA with 2 attacking wingers is goalfest, real football should be like this.

If Spurs had just passed it along the back line for the last 5 minutes they'd have been sorted.

I REALLY hope a team actually does that one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.