Your top 20 worst/stupidest Everton signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
They'd have been plenty of scouting in Moyes time. I mean Seamus dosen't just turn up at Finch Farm as a ready made top half prem full back for the next decade
Yeah, he doesn't, cuz it didn't happen like that lol

We did have a lot of scouts and a deal with Sports Interactive (the makers of Football Manager), we allegedly signed Fellaini through their scouting system not ours. Moyes also hilariously hired his own dad as a scout and his brother as a middleman/agent in a period where we signed basically no one for a few years, but that's another story for another day.
Cahill and Lescott were both rated championship players but again other clubs had a look and didn't move for them (Lescott had injury issues at Wolves). Pienaar was a brilliant pick up for the fee and considering he was part of a very good Ajax team in the early 2000s. Arteta did well at Rangers but then flopped at Real Sociedad so that was an educated punt on talented young player who wasn't quite in the right environment to succeed.
Good educated guesses/punts on players with one outstanding quality that lack other qualities - Lescott wasn't supposed to even be a centre back, he kept Baines (a very good scouting hit, again) out of the team for the fact Yobo/Jags were too good to change, as Moyes was equally as stubborn; Cahill was a battler and always won headers even for his size, Moyes moved him upfield (similar to what Dyche has done with Doucoure), and so on.
Realistically getting a player with a proven quality but potential in other areas and setting them up to succeed is how it should be done, but Moshiri's credit card in Bills hands spelled disaster for us for a while lately.

We also had a fair few good deals in general to be honest - Heitinga was bought for less than what he cost Atleti and he was a central figure for both them and Ajax beforehand.

Now we're back to it at least it seems - Tarks is a great leader and defender, you know what you get; Harrison will run for ages, which is what Dyche wants, so he fits - the odd good moment is a bonus; Garner cost a pretty penny but he's obviously got a lot of qualities, and so on.

Got to define 'worst'. Financially it must be Gbamin because he was a total write-off, playing only
a couple of times. Tosun, next up.

I loved Colin Harvey as a player but when he bought Ian Wilson and Cottee , I knew he was doomed.
How can great players be such bad judges? Dele and Maupay are most recent examples of the fact
'that nobody knows nothing'.

Got to define 'worst'. Financially it must be Gbamin because he was a total write-off, playing only
a couple of times. Tosun, next up.

I loved Colin Harvey as a player but when he bought Ian Wilson and Cottee , I knew he was doomed.
How can great players be such bad judges? Dele and Maupay are most recent examples of the fact
'that nobody knows nothing'.

Tbf to Harvey Cottee was sought after from west ham. Crap footballer but his goals tally shouldnt have him in a worst signings thread. The four he signed at the start of his first year, cottee, nevin, mcdonald(he was really crap) and McCall were not the best mind. Real downgrade on the previous few years.

I'm curious to see @Nymzee and @MikeH72's lists...

Here's mine, in no particular order and for reasons including value for money, being an arse, or being plain turd.

1 Gylfi
2 Alcaraz
3 McGeady
4 Eto'o
5 Niasse
6 Koldrup
7 Keane
8 Maupay
9 Davies, Simon
10 Kean
11 Tosun
12 Coco Martinez
13 That lad with the massive thighs Moyes rarely played
14 Schneiderlin
15 John Spencer
16 Steve Simonsen
17 Rooney (the re-signing)
18 Baardsen
19 Benitez (I don't care he's not a player)
20 Rondon

Not the worst signing in terms of cost to the club but probably the most bizarre of recent times has to be Anwar El-Ghazi.

Status
Not open for further replies.