Your top 20 worst/stupidest Everton signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strikes me through this list of no marks, how most of them are predictable failures. Yes our club spends millions no doubt on scouting and such like, its so embarrassing. I'm amazed we are even still in the top flight the way we work out how to buy players, as there seems to be absolutely no plan for buying a particular player. To fit into the team or a system we employ.

We are ridiculous, I defy anyone to show me a team with a worse record for buying dross players in the last 100 years
.. i dont think they exist.

No one out everton's everton!!!

They'd have been plenty of scouting in Moyes time. I mean Seamus dosen't just turn up at Finch Farm as a ready made top half prem full back for the next decade, you've got to send the scouts over the water to watch him play in league of Ireland and decide if he's got the mentality aswell as ability to step up as it's a huge difference but he did it brilliantly.

Cahill and Lescott were both rated championship players but again other clubs had a look and didn't move for them (Lescott had injury issues at Wolves). Pienaar was a brilliant pick up for the fee and considering he was part of a very good Ajax team in the early 2000s. Arteta did well at Rangers but then flopped at Real Sociedad so that was an educated punt on talented young player who wasn't quite in the right environment to succeed.

All things the club did well in the 2000s to get a regular top 6/7 team but that then evaporated in the 2010s as agents started to get more in bed with clubs.

We see it all the time that clubs will sign a player off an agent as a sort of favour just to get first dibs on other talents on their books. Club location dosen't help either as any reserve at one of the Manchester clubs who's settled in Cheshire will fancy moving here. Worked out brilliantly with Tim Howard, less so with Delph/Schnederlien.

Richard Wright.

Wright did well in his first season, the defensive record was very strong in 2002/03 and were very close to making europe.

After that he picked up more injuries and fell out of favour. Signed in summer 2022 and yet the Chelsea warm up injury was in Feb 2006! So he was here as backup for a long time.

Had to edit that three times. Dunno if it's my phone failing or my sobriety. Watching Jaws, that classic Christmas film.

Mike Milligan
Stefan Rehn
John Spencer
Mitch Ward
Marc Hottiger
Terry Phelan
Claus Thomsen
Nyarko
Niclas Alexandersson
Stephen Hughes
Per Kroldrup
Lacina Traore