2018/19 Yerry Mina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Played well.

Looked very comfortable.

To be fair, Argentina were crud.

Argentina will be lucky to take enough points from Paraguay and Qatar to advance unless they get their attack figured out very, very quickly. Though they wouldn't be the first side to lay an egg in their first match and then go on to win a major international (eg: Spain 2010 WC).

I agree with your subtext that Mina's performance has to be taken with a grain of salt, as Argentina's attacking misfires made it easy on the central defenders.

It would make sense but would be a hard to sell to the likes of USA, Mexico and the second tier South American sides.

The USA hosted Copa America for its 100th anniversary in 2016 in a combined CONMEBOL/CONCACAF format - the ten CONMEBOL sides and six CONCACAF (USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Jamaica, Haiti).

It was a huge success https://www.forbes.com/sites/sergei...pa-america-2016-smashes-records/#319cea157640

It's been discussed to combine, not only for cups but confederations generally, but there are two obstacles:

1. There are too many minnows in CONCACAF with votes. There are 35 countries and 20 of them are not in the top 100 in FIFA rankings - mostly tiny Caribbean island nations. These make more money slurping at the trough of FIFA corruption in the current format. I'd favor some sort of cricket-type West Indies combination for international purposes and you might get a decently competitive side out of them - but some of these countries, using the term loosely, would get slaughtered even by the likes of San Marino or Gibraltar - see Monserrat, pop. 5,215, FIFA ranking 197, which still puts them only 29/35 out of CONCACAF sides, ie there are six worse.

The weaker South American sides like Paraguay and Bolivia are giants compared to most of CONCACAF. There are three South American countries that compete in CONCACAF anyway, I guess both because of geography (they're on the Caribbean) and because they're too weak - Guyana, French Guiana, and Suriname. None has ever done anything in CONCACAF.

2. The travel would get difficult. Toronto to Santiago is 8600 km, a 15 hour flight.

USA and Mexico have near-automatic WC qualifying - although not absolute obvioulsy - USA failed miserably last time around and Mexico has come close. So maybe they'd be resistant. OTOH, regular WCQ and cup games against Brazil, Argentina, etc. would yield massive audiences and revenues. The CONCACAF Gold Cup is such an afterthought that in an American sports forum with knowledgable footy fans who are avidly discussing Copa America, PL transfer window, Sarri to Juventus, MLS, Women's WC, etc. there isn't even a Gold Cup thread. There's one discussing the prospects of the USA national side but no one is even bothering with Mexico-Cuba or Canada-Martinique. It's hard to find on TV, even for the USA side.

Argentina will be lucky to take enough points from Paraguay and Qatar to advance unless they get their attack figured out very, very quickly. Though they wouldn't be the first side to lay an egg in their first match and then go on to win a major international (eg: Spain 2010 WC).

I agree with your subtext that Mina's performance has to be taken with a grain of salt, as Argentina's attacking misfires made it easy on the central defenders.

If we have to take it with a pinch of salt that he kept Messi and Aguero out of the game, then I guess we’ll be extremely lucky to see him genuinely play well ever.

Played well.

Looked very comfortable.

To be fair, Argentina were crud.

Since you know your side, I'm sure you're right. Still - this kind of smells to me like the run we went on at the end of the season - "sure, Everton kept clean sheets against Chelsea/Arsenal/ManU, but Chelsea/Arsenal/ManU were crap in attack" - at some point maybe you gotta say that good defensive play had something to do with the crap attack?

Mexico and US get invited to the Copa America every year. For some insane reason they turn it down most years. Granted, this year there's the Gold Cup, but it's insane not for the US to play in it. Even as bad as they are right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.