Votes: 37 40.2%
  • Unlucky general

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • Cheese on toast

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mad thing is, we've played well! Need a better slotted than Doucoure. Unfortunately we can't afford to play the perfect option.

For me, our home form has always bugged me since Moyes.

I can't understand why we play TWO defensive midfielders at home especially against teams who will happily sit and counter our one dimensional pass to the wing and cross tactic.

With Branthwaite and Tarkowski, we have a solid centre back pairing who are striking up a good partnership so I am more confident defensively despite yesterday's 3-0 loss, so we need to be more attacking at home.

That means MORE pace and movement - we need to be switching and dictating away defences instead of two lads who play left and right and don't do anything else but go up and down that wing.

Centrally we have nothing of note in terms of creativity or pressure so that needs to be addressed because away teams can have as much of the ball away from home and we see it week in, week out how teams get more confident at Goodison and grow into the game which they eventually counter and score at the Park End to send us home early.

So how do you fix it? What I would like to see is:

Attack The Gwladys Street First:
I know Howard said we would "suck the ball in" but it's a wasted opportunity to attack early on in the game to the most aggressive and encouraging end (sorry Park End but it's true)

Let's get on the front foot first and attack from the off because we can't chase down a lead to save our lives so why wait 45 mins to see it that happens.

Drop the 2nd Defensive Midfielder:
If we are playing a more attack minded team like City or Arsenal for example sure 4-5-1 it and counter but Luton, Wolves, Fulham? Not a chance. We need to attack, control the midfield and create more chances. Don't bring up XG because it's balls and doesn't get you points. We need wins and two water carrier who don't score enough or assist loads doesn't cut it.

Stop playing Ashley Young:
He is done at start in a Premier League first team. Stop it NOW Dyche because it will cost you more and more points.

Change Up The Set Pieces:
Always hitting the first man on a corner? Keep doing that. Why are don't have a short corner routine by know is bonkers? Just lumping it in can work but surprisingly opposition train for this the week before so maybe try something different every once and a while. It keeps away teams guessing and you never know it could lead to a goal here and there plus you have a PLAN B.

We have now played the rest of the bottom five at home this season (with the league fixture against Burnley at Goodison still to go) with WWDL as the results. The only other point we took was against Brighton 1-1.

Does it have to be anything more complicated than, "because we can get some points in six-pointers, but we can't break down a mid-table side set up for one with a chance at three, and the top clubs have too much quality?"

Every other side in the league views facing us at their ground as three necessary points, and goes for broke. This is often to their detriment. We would rather offer the opponent sterile possession and counter against high lines.

Most teams don't cooperate at Goodison, and doubly so if they get on the scoresheet early. If we want a win, odds are the sheet has to be clean. Starting players who are prone to defensive errors and bad giveaways isn't helping matters. That's on Dyche.

We have needed a lockpick for some time, and briefly had one in James, but fit half the time just doesn't work over 38 league fixtures.

If there's a bright spot, it's that the other home losses were against Wolves and Fulham where we wrote down two points each before a ball was kicked (no goals in the side), and Arsenal executing a solid George Graham gameplan. We should nick some 1-0 and 1-1 home results against midtable sides going forward. That is, after all, how we stayed up last year when we couldn't beat our way out of a wet paper bag.

That is a down side at the moment with dyche, he is concentrating too much on not conceding. Packing the midfield with too many defensive players.

Then we are given too much of the ball. The defensive lot don't know what to do with it. So we lump it. They oppo score on the break. Tension builds on the stadium. The players feel it. Dyche don't want to change it with subs until 80 mins.

Status
Not open for further replies.