Why so poor away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the most worrying statistic....

Our poor away form is a concern : The answer.....mainly has been the inability to score goals & defend a lead & to close the game down to a narrow victory...

Now we have shown the ability to score goals freely we can stop this terrible away form...

Those old gits amongst us will remember 1970/71 I think it was when we lost either every away game or all bar one. Stoke away 5-2 loss was an example. I agree with most posters that it becomes a mentality issue.

Not enough tough games e.g RS played Napoli, city etc and look at peak fitness

That’s because the top clubs only ever play each other during preseason, in these cash grab overseas tournaments. The only time Everton were invited they got kicked out of it because they did too well.

Weak mentality. They are thinking they are going to lose before they even kick a ball and when they go a goal behind it is like the sky is falling. Didn't help that we had very little threat and very few goals in us either. We look more of a threat now and have another Gareth Barry type player playing for us so all we need really is a couple of away wins and the confidence should grow and we will hopefully put it behind us.

Weak mentality. They are thinking they are going to lose before they even kick a ball and when they go a goal behind it is like the sky is falling. Didn't help that we had very little threat and very few goals in us either. We look more of a threat now and have another Gareth Barry type player playing for us so all we need really is a couple of away wins and the confidence should grow and we will hopefully put it behind us.
What worries me is I think it will never change. We always seem to be so close yet it comes back to reality after 1 good result.

Reactions: Lob

Its easier to mask are frailties at home. The team has the strength of the crowd behind them, to push them on. Away is a different matter. Weakness exposed is hard to cover up when there is no one pushing them on. Yet I feel this team will get stronger as the season wears on, and with a couple away wins will give them a confidence boost they need.

We’re happy with draws away from home. We ply for the win a bit but as soon as we go behind or it gets to about 70 minutes we just go into protect the point mode whereas teams below us think ‘this might be our day let’s go for it’ and the teams above us think ‘this is our day let’s win it’. We constantly seem to be of the mindset ‘it’s never our day and we might lose it so let’s get a draw’

Thing is poor away from seems to be a lot more common these days, it not something exclusive to Everton.
Could be that top tier teams in general are better at home

Status
Not open for further replies.