Why do we care? Anti competition

Just after some research. Since Everton finished 4th in 04/05 some 20 years ago. Only 2 teams outside the 'super' 6 have found themselves finishing in the top 4. Those are Newcastle last season who got 4th but now finding themselves financially restricted. And the second is Leicester who won the league in 2016 and now find themselves in the championship.

20 years of football where only 6 teams have sustained any kind of success. We truly are only there to make the numbers as are the other 14 clubs. Why do we honestly bother? Why isn't bigger noise being made by the 14 to do something about this absolute nonsense.
The bigger issue is the "Champions" league, which has created this issue in domestic leagues.

Ever since they chucked the teams from the smaller nations into the qualifying rounds to accommodate up to four teams from the bigger nations, it has created a wholly predictable set of results. Of course, big clubs have always been challenging for, and winning, the big trophies - but if my memory serves me right, only 2 teams from outside the "big 5" leagues have reached the champions league semi finals this century.

Will we ever see the likes of Malmo, Brugge or Celtic in the Champions league final again?

Football has been like this for decades.

The teams from the biggest cities, with the biggest budgets will always take the top positions.

Btw, we were one of the clubs who originally threatened to breakaway from the football league, which brought about the creation of the premier league.

There’s only one thing stopping Everton being competitive and that’s Everton.

This is completely untrue. If you look at the old division 1 it was a lot more dynamic when you look at the top 4 positions.

And it's easy to blame Everton and say we could have spent better etc. But look at the market we were buying in, we couldn't get the top players so had to go for the ones the others didn't want and there's a reason they didn't want them. The likes of Rooney and James on the decline. The likes if Sigurdsson and Bolasie. Good at their clubs but not champions league quality. And then that's it before any progress can be made Everton are staring down the barrel of ffp.

Also look at Newcastle now, they aren't even allowed to spend anymore unless if they sell first. So if they sell a top player, who gets him?? Most likely a super 6 club. It's just rubbish.

I'm not saying it should be a free for all but a team who has money should at least be able to spend what the super 6 clubs are spending or they will never make the strides necessary to move to the next level.

Football has been like this for decades.

The teams from the biggest cities, with the biggest budgets will always take the top positions.

Btw, we were one of the clubs who originally threatened to breakaway from the football league, which brought about the creation of the premier league.

There’s only one thing stopping Everton being competitive and that’s Everton.
There's not only one thing though, is there.

Since 2010 only 4 teams outside the Big 5 (Spurs have won nothing so discount them) have won the PL, FA cup or League Cup

(Leicester, Birmingham City, Swansea & Wigan)
Pretty much like that since 1990, you can add like 3-4 more teams. For essentially 3 tournaments, spanning almost 35 years, the winners are about 10. Again, majority are United, City, RS, Chelsea, Arsenal.

I agree it's become boring and predictable. Since 2017 it's been increasingly uncompetitive and uninteresting, who wants to watch Liverpool and City win for the 10th time in a row. Look at the 70s and 80s, where even when Liverpool were dominating, teams still challenged them. Look at 1988/1989 where countless teams took points if Arsenal and Liverpool to create an exciting season. Look at all that money we spent in 2017, lose twice to United, get thrashed by Arsenal twice, Spurs twice. We were lucky to get a draw at Anfield and we couldn't even beat Liverpool's reserve side at GP. Get knocked out of the fa cup by their reserve side. Add to that ticket prices being ridiculous, day trippers and an a sub par product. Since Martinezs first season we have been crap, even under Koemann we were useless.

Yes.

We’ve had multiple chances to become one of the elite clubs in this country and blew it every single time.
There may have been chances, but they still would have had to overcome the odds, right? I'm not saying Everton haven't blown it more than once, but quite clearly there are other forces aiming to prevent clubs like ours competing at the top.

there is so much tribalism and individualism among the teams and fanbases. Look at how much joy other fans got seeing everyone point deduction. All teams even lower divisions need to unite against the top 6.
Stop selling to them and quit buying from them needs to be task number 1. We need to stop being feeder clubs.

Just after some research. Since Everton finished 4th in 04/05 some 20 years ago. Only 2 teams outside the 'super' 6 have found themselves finishing in the top 4. Those are Newcastle last season who got 4th but now finding themselves financially restricted. And the second is Leicester who won the league in 2016 and now find themselves in the championship.

20 years of football where only 6 teams have sustained any kind of success. We truly are only there to make the numbers as are the other 14 clubs. Why do we honestly bother? Why isn't bigger noise being made by the 14 to do something about this absolute nonsense.
Even then, they changed the rules for the other lot to stay in the European cup - we got a crap draw - & a ref brought out A referee of retirement who was awarded a car to make sure only 4 from England would progress - why the other clubs made it plain the TV money was not going to be split 5 ways ..... that's my view of it all - now we are singled out on FFP - another smell of injustice IMO ....

This article, written 20 years ago, is spot on. It talks about everything in the op.
Very insightful. This fella had it summed up just about right.

However, he overlooked the fact that 'real' fans are, in the main, not impartial bystanders but people who bleed their teams colours, who are raised and embodied in tradition and despite the ups and downs will stand up for 'their' club and take the rough with the smooth.

I agree that many original and local fans are nowadays priced out of attending games - me being one - and the phenomenon of the 'football tourist' has replaced them especially those of the so-called Big Six but those of us who endured bleak years will, forever, love and be invested in our respective clubs and won't walk away and deny them unlike the Johnny cum lately's who will disappear at the first sign of disappointment.

there is so much tribalism and individualism among the teams and fanbases. Look at how much joy other fans got seeing everyone point deduction. All teams even lower divisions need to unite against the top 6.
Stop selling to them and quit buying from them needs to be task number 1. We need to stop being feeder clubs.
The problem then becomes that we can't buy without selling. Or we'd have to sell for less money which again becomes a problem.

“Most competitive league in the world”

The bigger issue is the "Champions" league, which has created this issue in domestic leagues.

Ever since they chucked the teams from the smaller nations into the qualifying rounds to accommodate up to four teams from the bigger nations, it has created a wholly predictable set of results. Of course, big clubs have always been challenging for, and winning, the big trophies - but if my memory serves me right, only 2 teams from outside the "big 5" leagues have reached the champions league semi finals this century.

Will we ever see the likes of Malmo, Brugge or Celtic in the Champions league final again?
Doubt it ,changing it to groups from straight knockouts is a big reason footy is what it is now ,

[Poor language removed] up whingeing you bunch of tarts! It is only the anger and rage I feel watching nob-end refs cheat us that keeps my ailing ticker running at. Full pace. As soon a I become content my heart will implode! So pipe down, suck it up and enjoy the agony like the rest of us!