Who's next after Benitez - Poll reset 25th Jan

Who's next from this list ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think many managers would!

But that isn't really the point. He's a very similar type of manager. Pretty dour, very much a disciplinarian (which I'm not against) but poor man-management. Wants to play on individual moments rather than have a structure of playing, so that relies on players being in form (his Frankfurt success in 18-19 was built on Haller and Jovic being absolutely unbelievable, the latter especially).

So for right now I'm not sure that suits us at all.
Then why are you trying to taint him with the comparison? It’s a results based business.

I appreciate the overly forensic analysis you believe you have provided but in our position I can now see we need some who will get us in non relegation order and build from there - I am completely convinced he wouldn’t do that unlike Rooney.

You only need to look at the poll to see you are very much in the minority - but I’m sure you’ll claim you know more than people voting

Swerve Kovac at all costs. Drop a bomb on the whole organisation. We are a mess and have been for a long, long time now. One step forward, two massive steps back...

There are definitely 3 worse teams than us.

I think we just need to find the right way to play and have confidence in it.

Kovac would be such a negative appointment.

Take a look at that Monaco squad he had in the summer and imagine boring football and player regression.

I think he was punted when they were 6th but really he should have had them on the heels of PSG.

Your way off there.

If we appointed Cahill as DOF and Rooney as manager then thats two ex Everton players who are extreme football men.

At 36 and 42 both are very young for the roles and yet could in theory be in place for the next 20 years.

Having that long term focus and gradual improvement in quality throughout the club season on season should be exactly what were looking for.

If either of them failed then thats their careers over and I highly doubt they would take failure lightly.

Two winners to come into the club and a change of attitude and direction.

We talk about Ashworth and Potter (and i rate both highly) but these could be far suprerior together.

Honestly mate, I'm not sure why Monaco should have been on the heels of PSG. 6th seems a resonable return for me, especially after being 3rd the season before.

Ive posted before on this forum that he was the 'Benitez' type or words to that effect before.

The players hated him. The fans hated the performances. The management hated his attitude.

Lovely name though. Yawn.

Makes sense. Id not read that he had lost the dressing room -- not sure if thats true.

But theres no doubt players regressed and big money players flopped.

Boadu for example was someone people on here wanted us to sign.

"Gang full of misfits"

Would that be Bayern or Monaco ?

Monaco would be quite relevant as well. Id imagine him coming in, saving us from relegation...

...everyone is happy.

In summer we make sales, he spends the money and then several players regress and the big money signings flop.

12months time were back here again with people calling Kovac Benitez 2.

You can answer that yourself surely?

If theres one thing Rooney knows, its football. Hes been an elite footballer and has taken a step into management when he could have stayed in MLS or gone elsewhere to play and earn the big bucks still.

If you want a young manager with a 'name' to attract players and someone who they will want to learn from and listen to you dont get too many better names than Rooney.

The key is the DOF with him.

Cooper comes across well actually. I wouldnt be against him either.

Im fairly open minded on managers thesedays, as long as they make sense in some way.

Mowbray would be a no from me.
Don’t compare him to Benitez, it’s ridiculous and you’re actually weakening your own points - irrelevant as they are anyway.

Ive posted before on this forum that he was the 'Benitez' type or words to that effect before.

The players hated him. The fans hated the performances. The management hated his attitude.

Lovely name though. Yawn.

Makes sense. Id not read that he had lost the dressing room -- not sure if thats true.

But theres no doubt players regressed and big money players flopped.

Boadu for example was someone people on here wanted us to sign.

"Gang full of misfits"

Would that be Bayern or Monaco ?

Monaco would be quite relevant as well. Id imagine him coming in, saving us from relegation...

...everyone is happy.

In summer we make sales, he spends the money and then several players regress and the big money signings flop.

12months time were back here again with people calling Kovac Benitez 2.

You can answer that yourself surely?

If theres one thing Rooney knows, its football. Hes been an elite footballer and has taken a step into management when he could have stayed in MLS or gone elsewhere to play and earn the big bucks still.

If you want a young manager with a 'name' to attract players and someone who they will want to learn from and listen to you dont get too many better names than Rooney.

The key is the DOF with him.

Cooper comes across well actually. I wouldnt be against him either.

Im fairly open minded on managers thesedays, as long as they make sense in some way.

Mowbray would be a no from me.

Bill kenwright likes your peasant mentality

Try and survive

And build a philosophy around Potter for long term management in the summer.

I'd back that
We need a competent DoF, who is allowed to do what the role requires without meddling from above or other parties, before we appoint a manager.

However, this isn't going to happen in the short-term, so as you mention I'd be content with getting someone who'll keep us up and look further afield later on.

Once we've appointed a manager, there's no point in looking for a DoF as they'll be working along the philosophy on the manager rather than vice versa.

@Zatara has pointed out his flaws at Monaco.

He's basically like Benitez in how he wants to play (albeit a better version of that). Is that what we really want?

Maybe he would give us enough, but I think we'd be looking at a new manager in 18 months though so in that case I'd just want us to go for Favre, all out, and say look, you're our man for 18 months, sort us out, like you did with Gladbach, Nice, and stabilise us.

I think we want someone who wins games.

I think this squad, club, fans need a change of voice.

All the talk is around 'someone who knows to ge club, knows the players, knows what it's like to play for Everton'. Problem with that is the names involved that fit that criteria are either players who weren't 'winners' at the club or felt that Everton weren't big enough for them.

I'd like to see the board look at someone who has experience at mid table clubs and experience of building a team long term - but importantly someone is isn't lumbered by the Everton tag.

All the talk is around 'someone who knows to ge club, knows the players, knows what it's like to play for Everton'. Problem with that is the names involved that fit that criteria are either players who weren't 'winners' at the club or felt that Everton weren't big enough for them.

I'd like to see the board look at someone who has experience at mid table clubs and experience of building a team long term - but importantly someone is isn't lumbered by the Everton tag.
tbf the 'winners' at Everton are now all in their 60s/70s or dead

Yeah the Ferguson experiment yesterday left me thinking the modern game has moved on

Status
Not open for further replies.