Where do the 'fringe' players play now then ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
you'd swear we got battered tonight. We should have won, we didn't, the so called fringe players didn't do that bad. What the hell is the big fuss.

Compared to the display the fringe players put in against Leeds last year

Im not making a 'Fuss' mate..
Im asking when does Stones, Oviedo, Delefeuo Etc play again ?

Im not making a 'Fuss' mate..
Im asking when does Stones, Oviedo, Delefeuo Etc play again ?

Fair enough mate, so much negativity tonight.

Anyway; i think they'll have a big part to play, 38 games is going to bring tiredness and injuries. Delefeuo will be the one who can be used when the opposition is tired, he has the skill and pace to make things happen. Stones/Johnny H/Oviedo/Gibson/Kone/Jelavic are all good players to have in the background and will do a job when they are called on

barry and barkley would have won us that tonight imo.

the system bobby plays needs a player in the central area in front on the CB's who can control and also break up play and also needs a player in the last 3rd of the pitch that can control and feed people the ball.

i think if those two played today we would have won easy no matter how many "fringe" players played.

we just cant replace them two at the mo.

Most of them will still get playing time on certain situations. We can expect a constant rotation in midfield between Barry, Gibson, McCarthy and Osman. Mirallas, Pienaar Deulofue and Naismith will handle the wings. Stones will continue to see playing time as a backuopto Coleman and first CB of the bench, while Kone and Jelavic will backup Lukaku. Oviedo can play LB or LW.

They'll come most of the time the last 30 or 15 mins under certain situations or if someone gets injured or suspended. None the less they'll get playing time, just not as much had we beaten Fulham.

It's actually the fringe players' loss dropping out of the cup
They win- they keep their spots in the next round
they lose- good luck breaking into the league 11

I think it was a case of too much too soon.. We had a couple of good results against Chelsea and west ham...not great performances by any stretch... And we start to believe were better than we are. Too many changes not only in players but shape and any pattern that we hoped to have developed disappeared. Robles is a joke, no presence in the box, little relationship with his centre halves... Heitinga as the holding midfielder with Gibson in front of him makes no sense, Gerard has a lot to learn about professional football and has some basic shoot, pass, hold decision making challenges, let alone inability or willingness to tackle/trackback...the players who make us tick were missing today - Ross, kev and pienaar give us penetration we don't have otherwise..and Barry has already shown he alongside mcarthy is the platform to pass and build on. Lesson learned reaction vs skunks required.

Hi everyone, didn't see game tonight so would appreciate a bit of insight into Deulofeu in particular. Going by commentary/Twitter he was exceptional first half and woeful second half. Was this true? If so, did it look like he simply tired or did he become a bit predictable or something else?

Ta in advance.

First half, they couldn't handle his pace at all. He looked excellent in the first half even though he mae the wrong decision on the odd occasion. Second half he was trying too hard to beat the full back so got a bid greedy and careless on the ball. Ran the ball out of play quite a bit and chose the wrong pass a few times.

The first half display was very encouraging but he has a lot to learn. His pace will give him a massive advantage, and it's good to see that he can run through the middle as well as down the wing. He's small though so I would think he will struggle physically at first in the Premiership games, if certain players target him. I'm not sure he's ready to start but he could definitely do a job coming off the bench for the last 25/30 minutes in games to give us something different.

He reminds me of Ronaldo when he was younger. You could tell he had loads of ability but he didn't know how to make the most of it, productively, on the pitch.

He looked like he was just running at people for the sake of it rather than because it was the best option half the time. If he learns when to run with it, when to pass, when to shoot etc he'll become a great player. Atm, he's a very skillful youngster who needs to work on his decision making in games.

I think it was a case of too much too soon.. We had a couple of good results against Chelsea and west ham...not great performances by any stretch... And we start to believe were better than we are. Too many changes not only in players but shape and any pattern that we hoped to have developed disappeared. Robles is a joke, no presence in the box, little relationship with his centre halves... Heitinga as the holding midfielder with Gibson in front of him makes no sense, Gerard has a lot to learn about professional football and has some basic shoot, pass, hold decision making challenges, let alone inability or willingness to tackle/trackback...the players who make us tick were missing today - Ross, kev and pienaar give us penetration we don't have otherwise..and Barry has already shown he alongside mcarthy is the platform to pass and build on. Lesson learned reaction vs skunks required.

Bigger squads means you have to play them, and the league cup is the obvious opportunity to do so. I 100% think the formation was more the problem than the changes (which all but L'pool have done). Even whilst dominating first half, the CM was struggling set up how it was. Change it HT or before they score second and we still win.

Status
Not open for further replies.