where did it go wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did it go wrong... I can actually tell you sort off.........

In Martinez's first season when we were boss, we used to play a very high tempo high energy game. If you cast your mind back, we closed, pressed chased and harried the opposition when we didnt have the ball. Now towards the end of that season, we stopped doing it (God knows why) and it has never returned

I think that is a huge factor in why we were very good then and have not been since

It went wrong when he got 72 points in the first season then every divvy thought it was the new average.

A victim of his own first seasons work.

Three seasons and his record is still respectable though, and only the most bitter and twisted wouldn't concede that.

Hiya Derek... i remember you

Where did it go wrong... I can actually tell you sort off.........

In Martinez's first season when we were boss, we used to play a very high tempo high energy game. If you cast your mind back, we closed, pressed chased and harried the opposition when we didnt have the ball. Now towards the end of that season, we stopped doing it (God knows why) and it has never returned

I think that is a huge factor in why we were very good then and have not been since
Fitness ?

Fitness ?

Would explain why it tailed off in that season, but not why it never returned next season or the season after. Its like Spurs and Leicester this year, they play similar to us without the ball this season (Particuarly tottenham) - If they just stopped doing it next year, they will be much easier to beat

Would explain why it tailed off in that season, but not why it never returned next season or the season after. Its like Spurs and Leicester this year, they play similar to us without the ball this season (Particuarly tottenham) - If they just stopped doing it next year, they will be much easier to beat
Did he get shut of the fitness coach along with other back room staff ? Just asking like.

Fitness & basic defensive organisation.

Two fundamental elements of the professional game & two that Martinez has failed to grasp.

I can see it, thousands can also see it - do the people making the decisions see it?

That in a nutshell is the cause of our decline.
The clown inherited a team who were extremely fit and well drilled defensively,he let the hand brake off and wow they were BOSS,but their fitness and defending has just steadily declined ever since,so much so,if he is still given next season,he will without doubt,take us down

Yep. Steve Tashjian left after season 1 along with Dave Billows.

Since then injuries have increased
When Steve Tashjian left so did our match fitness!
The match against Arsenal at home last season - i think it was the second game of the season and we were boss for 80 minutes. We absolutely smashed Arsenal off the park and then we just dropped, our legs gone and we stopped running. they scored 2 goals in the last 7 minutes i think. It was clear then and almost every match after that we've never had enough in the tank to press a team for 90+ minutes which at this level of football is ridiculous. Jags made a comment that first summer when Martinez came in that pre-seasons under Moyes were all about fitness and strength, they barely touched a ball where as Martinez liked working on passing and ball retention from the very start.
Martinez has never address our fitness issues and has instead, since the start of his second season, installed this low tempo, almost non-pressing game to conserve energy to counter attack but it just doesn't work.

For me, his excuses after poor results. A proper manager should always shoulder responsibility, game management, transfers, results, especially when key players on our team are youngsters.

You can blame players for being poor but it always reflects the level of coaching and inspiration that is given by the coach. Clearly, there is none of all that where Martinez is concerned given how long it went on with no rectification even now.

I wouldn't want our next manager to throw any of our players under the bus, but he needs to be smart enough to apply coaching and game management at the right time. Drill the player in training sessions, and if he makes mistakes, warn him, repeated mistakes might lead to sterner coaching and possible short term benching.

I've seen none of that from Martinez.

If he'd got in a top level defensive coach, I honestly think he could have averted this

I was of that opinion until I looked at his coaching staff. Call it whatever you want, he definitely leaves deadwood on board far too long...So not sure if he would even hire a top level defensive coach to contradict his philosophy.

I was of that opinion until I looked at his coaching staff. Call it whatever you want, he definitely leaves deadwood on board far too long...So not sure if he would even hire a top level defensive coach to contradict his philosophy.

I agree

If he was going to do it, he would have done so by now

Too stubborn to get help, thus he meets his Waterloo

Status
Not open for further replies.