"What's wrong with Everton?" [The Athletic]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The European ban hit Everton hard when we were probably the best team in Europe at the time.

After Kendal, poor managerial choices meant we drifted into relegation battles.

Lack of money at a time when the game exploded meant we just got left behind.
Money led to football becoming more London centric.

Missing out on years of Champions League money trapped us in the alsoran category.

The ground had become a millstone holding back our financial performance.

Now When we finally have money, we have squandered a lot and got into a position where we have a dud squad of unshiftable players on high wages.

This is our new millstone, and breaking free is the next great challenge.
London centric?: 2 of the worlds biggest and the worlds richest clubs are in the NW and then there's us lol

London centric?: 2 of the worlds biggest and the worlds richest clubs are in the NW and then there's us lol
Arsenal and Chelsea dominated top four places and trophy’s in a way which London clubs had never done historically.

The money and draw of the capital changed the balance.

Arsenal and Chelsea dominated top four places and trophy’s in a way which London clubs had never done historically.

The money and draw of the capital changed the balance.
Arsenal have always been a big club and won lots of trophies. They've never shaken the NW clubs out of the running, to this day. So Chelsea won a few pots, still nothing compared to our neck of the woods.

Arsenal have always been a big club and won lots of trophies. They've never shaken the NW clubs out of the running, to this day. So Chelsea won a few pots, still nothing compared to our neck of the woods.
I’m not questioning that Arsenal are a big club, but I think that when money came into football, London benefited. Chelsea got their billionaire and

From the start of the football league to 1992, the title went to London 10 times.

From 1992 to present it’s gone to London eight times.

Similarly with the FA Cup, from the start to 1992, it went to London 22 times.

From 92 onwards it went 17 times.

Of course London didn’t overtake the North West, but it certainly became much more powerful. The glamour of London and the global exposure made those clubs far more attractive.

I believe Everton have lost sight of what it means to be successful over the past 26 years. We have settled for being comfortable rather than being driven. I have no doubt that over the past 26 years every person of influence within the club would say they were trying to win a trophy but they would have caveated that statement with a reason why we weren’t winning something. We seem to have acquired an ethos for “not losing” rather than “winning”. We only seem to react when we have a particularly bad season and are threatened with relegation, we fight not to lose our premiership status. When we are comfortable we we don’t seem to have enough drive to make us winners. I think this attitude has now permeated down to the players, when you look at them passing the ball backwards or sideways rather than forward you see an ethos of safety first rather than taking a chance to win. This acceptance of mediocrity has become ingrained in our club over many years and will be difficult to get rid of.
Hopefully we have started the process of change, hopefully the changes in the boardroom, in management will start to have an effect and we will see a change in the type of players we bring in.
This transfer window can be a defining one for Everton, do we remain plucky Everton or do we go for real success.
As always with Everton, it is the hope that kills you.

I’m not questioning that Arsenal are a big club, but I think that when money came into football, London benefited. Chelsea got their billionaire and

From the start of the football league to 1992, the title went to London 10 times.

From 1992 to present it’s gone to London eight times.

Similarly with the FA Cup, from the start to 1992, it went to London 22 times.

From 92 onwards it went 17 times.

Of course London didn’t overtake the North West, but it certainly became much more powerful. The glamour of London and the global exposure made those clubs far more attractive.
A lot of truth in that.

Plus with the influx of foreigners into the English game since Klinsmann (who was really the first megastar to come), quite a lot of them want London as the destination. Gullit, Bergkamp, Vialli, Desailly, Pires etc.

Man U and the RS are a draw with their status in the sport, City with the money, so they can “compensate” for not being in London (compensate in inverted commas as the north has fantastic locations, but foreigners instantly see London).

I believe Everton have lost sight of what it means to be successful over the past 26 years. We have settled for being comfortable rather than being driven. I have no doubt that over the past 26 years every person of influence within the club would say they were trying to win a trophy but they would have caveated that statement with a reason why we weren’t winning something. We seem to have acquired an ethos for “not losing” rather than “winning”. We only seem to react when we have a particularly bad season and are threatened with relegation, we fight not to lose our premiership status. When we are comfortable we we don’t seem to have enough drive to make us winners. I think this attitude has now permeated down to the players, when you look at them passing the ball backwards or sideways rather than forward you see an ethos of safety first rather than taking a chance to win. This acceptance of mediocrity has become ingrained in our club over many years and will be difficult to get rid of.
Hopefully we have started the process of change, hopefully the changes in the boardroom, in management will start to have an effect and we will see a change in the type of players we bring in.
This transfer window can be a defining one for Everton, do we remain plucky Everton or do we go for real success.
As always with Everton, it is the hope that kills you.
The money made it very difficult to compete. Clubs in Europe have made significantly more revenue than us over a prolonged period. They also have much greater global exposure and large international followings as a result. That is by far and away the biggest barrier to our progression.

The money we have wasted recently is not good, but the story goes a long way further back.

I don’t think we have settled for mediocrity, I think circumstances have created it.

It took a billionaire to sort out City and Chelsea. It will take the same for our billionaire to get where he wants us to be.
A new iconic ground will play a big part in turning things round.

I'm still fairly new to following football, but how does a team like Everton build a team to consistently push for top 4? It seems like the sport is purely driven by money, making clubs like Everton who are on the outside looking in, a much more difficult task of building a solid football club that is consistently pushing the top 4 teams. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it just seems crazy to me that all it really takes is some oil tycoon to purchase a club in order to see success.

I'm still fairly new to following football, but how does a team like Everton build a team to consistently push for top 4? It seems like the sport is purely driven by money, making clubs like Everton who are on the outside looking in, a much more difficult task of building a solid football club that is consistently pushing the top 4 teams. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it just seems crazy to me that all it really takes is some oil tycoon to purchase a club in order to see success.
It can be done. Leicester did it recently.

They recruited exceptionally well and it all came together for them. Luck also played a part as other big teams were rebuilding their squads.

It can be done. Leicester did it recently.

They recruited exceptionally well and it all came together for them. Luck also played a part as other big teams were rebuilding their squads.
The season before when they won the league they finished 14th with 41 points. Where we finished with points tally this season we are in a far better position.

Not saying we are going to win the league. Although I think we are in a far better position than many have us. 3 home wins off champion league place.

The season before when they won the league they finished 14th with 41 points. Where we finished with points tally this season we are in a far better position.

Not saying we are going to win the league. Although I think we are in a far better position than many have us. 3 home wins off champion league place.
I do agree. For all our problems, if one or two fringe players had stepped up and made a difference, we could have made Europe.

The spark could be one or two youth players breaking through in key areas, or just having greater quality depth.

For all the doom and gloom, we did make progress and this summer could be transformative. With quite a few players off the books, there is A golden opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.