What is the solution to this mess?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mid-table as we speak, I've a feeling we'll be looking at other scores before the month is over.

So be it. I'm not going to fetishise the table this season. I could care as much if we were in the nowhere position of 7th as the nowhere position of 15th. It's not the over-riding objective this season.
Not just subs Dave, change in shape to counter the opposition is extremely common. Look at Watford yesterday

Look at the shape of the team against Liverpool, City, Chelsea...they cancel each other out.

Really? I don’t think these clowns are capable of even avoiding defeat away at Fulham and Cardiff never mind winning them !

They did ok away from home against a team in form yesterday and they beat the type of rubbish like Huddersfield away from home. I';m glad these players are playing away from Goodison, tbh. Vlasic was spot on.
Don't be silly of course managers can change games with substituions and in play tactics that is what separates manager's.

Some can...very few. The rest are just throwing a dice / responding to opposition changes by sticking with a set formation.
For once, I wish I had your optimism! :D

At the moment unless something happens to give us a boost like a red card (& pen) early in the game we have zero confidence and zero defence to get a result. It's easy to see Cardiff lobbing everything into our box during the next game and we don't hold out much hope in derbies during good times. You'd think we could get something from Newcastle but if we don't we would be on the back of a major losing streak with 8 games left, 4 of those we're likely to get beat. The other 4 consist of 2 games against relegation candidates and 2 away games.

Imho the only way we don't get dragged into the equation is if Southampton, Newcastle, Cardiff and Burnley et al. fail to get close to our 33 points as it stands.

Now I don't think we will go down but it will be far too close for comfort and we may not get higher than 40 points this season which is a very bad sign.
A few games back we had a red card against us and found the fight to keep a lead.

...or, the DoF could have done his job and bought a striker.

Just like Huddersfield wanted it more...but we beat them...with 10 men.

For one team to be underperforming it takes another to make them underperform.

We just dont have cutting edge, and it places a massive amount of pressure on the defence to hold out.

I suggest we get a striker in (or a couple) way before we change the manager...it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run.
We need a striker who can finish. If we had one we'd have won yesterday and none of this angst would exist.

Whoever is our coach needs a striker. I'm afraid DCL, Cenk, Oumar and Sandro are not the answer and only DCL could be kept due to his age and potential.

I do see some underlying form to Everton under Silva so I will back him into the new season. But he needs a striker or two plus reinforcement in some other areas. That's a big ask of Brands and the club but if they don't come through, Silva will be thrown under the bus and we'll be repeating these threads for the new guy.

Lousy Everton.

No point sacking Silva and Brands should publicly back him to show the players that they'll go before Silva if they don't perform.

If set pieces really are an issue from Silva and his coaching staff and not the players then Brands needs to recruit another coach to help with this.

I understand why people are saying to sack him but I do feel like a majority of those people just jump to the conclusion of sacking too quickly and they don't seem to have an answer as to who we get in except for stupid shouts for world class managers, who wouldnt even sniff at us. Social media doesn't help and feeds into the hyperbole... Sacking really is not a working solution for us as has been shown since Martinez. Stability and a young hungry manager at the helm is key but Silva needs support too if his coaching staff aren't up to it or if there are holes in his system. Behind most successful managers there's usually a successful team and support network etc.

I honestly don't think much of the blame lies with Silva for this season and sacking him will only see us end up with someone like Wagner in which case I'd rather stick with Silva and let him get it right. Tbh some people aren't even willing to give him a chance. A good example of this are the statements these same people make about Martinez when they say he only done so well in his first season because of the defensive foundations and work rate left by Moyes, which may be true, but Silva isn't afforded the same excuses/ reasons. The same people aren't saying or acknowledging that Silva inherited a mess of a squad, cowardly players and players happy to pick up a massive wedge yet contribute nothing.

Imo he's up against it til we rid the squad of the garbage and start bringing in more players like Digne and Gomes etc but for that he needs time and patience. The players deserve grief and all fingers should be pointed firmly at them, four managers some of these players have now gotten sacked.

Not having a go at you mate but everything that's wrong about this club is captured in your non ambitious words and sentiment.

We really do need the next generation of blue fans to come through and show the board, players and the current generation of fans the mediocre is not our name.

So be it. I'm not going to fetishise the table this season. I could care as much if we were in the nowhere position of 7th as the nowhere position of 15th. It's not the over-riding objective this season.

Look at the shape of the team against Liverpool, City, Chelsea...they cancel each other out.

They did ok away from home against a team in form yesterday and they beat the type of rubbish like Huddersfield away from home. I';m glad these players are playing away from Goodison, tbh. Vlasic was spot on.

Some can...very few. The rest are just throwing a dice / responding to opposition changes by sticking with a set formation.

A few games back we had a red card against us and found the fight to keep a lead.
You can't arf backtrack.

We need a striker who can finish. If we had one we'd have won yesterday and none of this angst would exist.

Whoever is our coach needs a striker. I'm afraid DCL, Cenk, Oumar and Sandro are not the answer and only DCL could be kept due to his age and potential.

I do see some underlying form to Everton under Silva so I will back him into the new season. But he needs a striker or two plus reinforcement in some other areas. That's a big ask of Brands and the club but if they don't come through, Silva will be thrown under the bus and we'll be repeating these threads for the new guy.

Lousy Everton.

I find it unforgiveable that no attempt has been made to replace Lukaku over two years after he left. The same mentality of relying on a pop gun attack backed up by "goals from other positions" has prevailed to this day, and it's killed us as a competitive outfit.

For us to have two DoF in that time who haven't addressed that fundamental and obvious truth is unbelievable.

You can't arf backtrack.
Please elaborate.

We have an owner and chairman who hire rubbish managers and lead the fan base on a merry dance.

30 years and still this fan base does what is told like some brain dead puppy solving the future of the club in fan forums while the owners sip there expensive wine and laugh.

Just no pride , left in this generation of blues

Here is to the next generation of blues with more balls and ambition.

We have an owner and chairman who hire rubbish managers and lead the fan base on a merry dance.

30 years and still this fan base does what is told like some brain dead puppy solving the future of the club in fan forums while the owners sip there expensive wine and laugh.

Just no pride , left in this generation of blues

Here is to the next generation of blues with more balls and ambition.

That Paul O'Grady lookalike called it spot on in that post semi final video- board and fans have no ambition.

We need a striker who can finish.
We need more than that though, cenk in general is a pretty good finisher but this team doesn't create clear cut chances and he's not mobile enough to create his own chances.

We need a complete striker who can do a lot more than just finish.

I'm not sure either. But supporting him has to be a better way of ensuring we maximise that he does turn it around.

There's been too much churn in the dugout. It needs to end. Brands needs to stay focussed and dominate this situation. No more hiring and firing until at least next autumn earliest.

Give this new managerial regime a chance.

I agree. As awful as we are at the moment, and as hapless as Silva appears to be right now, sacking him would do more harm than good. We're not far off being a laughing-stock as it is, and another sacking would have them rolling in the aisles. In all likelihood we'd get another stopgap manager whom we'd have to replace in the near future, after yet another massive payout (no-one would come cheap to us at this juncture). We have to somehow scrape our way through the rest of the season - chances are we can secure enough points to avoid relegation. Silva can only properly be judged next October/November. If he hasn't shown he can learn from his errors - and he must be clever enough to realise this is his last chance at a big job - then he should go. Summer is the chance for Brands to show he can do the job we need from him. As well as player recruitment, he must also be looking at the coaching staff and at changing the entire mentality of the club. And he needs to be doing his homework on Silva's replacement, should one be needed, so any change can be effected smoothly and fast.

It's not a case of fetishizing the season,more a case of being a supporter and weekly having it rammed home that we are a mediocre mid-table side playing relegation standard football. If you can stomach the weekly feelings of total desolation,your a better man than I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.