What all the major grounds looked like 25 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

How far behind we have fallen, with only Burnley and Crystal Palace treading water alongside us while every other (so-called) Premiership club has massively redeveloped, modernised or moved to a new ground.

If anything epitomised how other people see us it is Goodison. Love it as I do, I feel a sense of embarrassment going there with friends who support rival teams, as it really is 30 years behind the times.

I can remember legitimately chanting 'Sh*tty ground...' virtually everywhere I went with Everton in the 70 and 80s. Now the boot is so on the other foot and I couldn't complain if the likes of Brighton, Leicester Stoke, Southampton and Swansea made the same claim at our rather dilapidated, less than grand 'old lady'.

Those excavators can't move in to Bramley Moore Dock fast enough - we so need it to re-establish ourselves among the elite.

Until then, the board who have so wantonly let time overtake us need to hang their heads in shame for such amateurish lack of investment.

How far behind we have fallen, with only Burnley and Crystal Palace treading water alongside us while every other (so-called) Premiership club has massively redeveloped, modernised or moved to a new ground.

If anything epitomised how other people see us it is Goodison. Love it as I do, I feel a sense of embarrassment going there with friends who support rival teams, as it really is 30 years behind the times.

I can remember legitimately chanting 'Sh*tty ground...' virtually everywhere I went with Everton in the 70 and 80s. Now the boot is so on the other foot and I couldn't complain if the likes of Brighton, Leicester Stoke, Southampton and Swansea made the same claim at our rather dilapidated, less than grand 'old lady'.

Those excavators can't move in to Bramley Moore Dock fast enough - we so need it to re-establish ourselves among the elite.

Until then, the board who have so wantonly let time overtake us need to hang their heads in shame for such amateurish lack of investment.
I honestly think some of us invest too much in our wonderful history (I don't mean we should forget it, I mean we should embrace it but move with the times). Time has to move on and so do we as a club. I'd never be embarrassed to show off Goodison, but I get the sentiment. We've been behind others for so long and are now just catching up. It's nice to see though. Taking my kid to Goodison this year for his first time, (he's 21 and never been into footy til lately), and I can't wait to get him to the new one either.

Personally I prefer the old grounds, they had more atmosphere and character. They were embedded in the community they drew their support from. All the old names such as the kippax, the north bank and the shelf that helped shape each grounds uniqueness and recalled its history, consigned to obscurity and replaced by meaningless names prefixing the inevitable 'stand'. Every ground feels the same these days, plastic identikit rubbish. I hope we manage to conjure up something more distinctive.

Status
Not open for further replies.