VAR

Chelsea just had a penalty to them correctly overturned by VAR.

Without VAR, this would have been a penalty to Chelsea
Hard to know these days. Refs get accused of making the decision, such as this penalty, but in the back of their mind knowing VAR will check it. Even subconsciously that may have an effect. Maybe in the years before that safety net, he would have been more confident in what he and his assistants saw and not given it.

Chelsea just had a penalty to them correctly overturned by VAR.

Without VAR, this would have been a penalty to Chelsea
I feel like they are morely likely to give the penalty for the big clubs then the VAR has to spot a clear and obvious error. Against the small clubs its the opposite.

Get shut of it.

Was worth a try, but wrong decisions still happen every game, and the negative impact on game time, atmosphere, celebrations is too high a price to pay for correcting ‘some’ decisions.

Go back to the days of just moaning about the ref for a week after a game, instead of moaning about the Ref and Var and slow decision making and dodgy lines getting drawn etc etc.

Last edited:

I have this opinion that the game should be the same whether you play in the PL or Sunday league. Weirdly always felt that VAR spoils the grass roots aspect for many reasons which I care a lot about.

we shouldn’t look for perfect solutions in an imperfect world.

….referee’s and linesmen who have had the VAR safety net suddenly having to decide for themselves is a concern.

I’ve never been against VAR, I’m against the persons who interpret it. I’d much prefer the VAR officials not to be referee’s and I’d also aim to get the ‘yes or no’ decisions like offside validated more quickly by technicians who’s job it is to manage the system.
Sooo...referees then?

…I wonder if ‘the Big 6’ are actually the ones who want VAR banned. Short-term bad, long-term a more level playing field. I’d be more in the ‘stick with it camp’.
I would be stick with it as well. I know its not great, but as soon as have a decision go against us we will be moaning about it being scrapped.

Nothing wrong with the system, it’s deliberately run into the ground by PGMOL. This is the outcome everyone wanted, a vote on getting rid of VAR. If it passes good luck having any offside ever called against a sky six side ever again. How convenient this is occurring now as soon as the AI generated offside is getting adopted by other competitions. Too much money for a level playing field.