VAR

Seamus is correct but far too diplomatic, hope Dyche is harsher

More from Everton captain Seamus Coleman speaking to ITV on the red card for Dominic Calvert-Lewin: "When you slow it down it is obviously going to look bad. From where I was it was a good tackle. I saw the replay after and don't know who the fingers need to be pointed at, as soon as the ref goes over there [to the screen] you know he is going to give a red card.

"Listen, it has been a big talking point. For me that is not a red card and it is another decision that goes against us that maybe won't be talked about as much."

Problem is that if you want to find a technical justification for giving a foul you 90% of the time can as there will always be some contact between players in a contact sport.

But that is not what VAR is supposed to be for, it is for where the officials miss something sufficiently serious to warrant an intervention. The ref did not miss it, he interpreted it differently originally, but still absolutely within the rules and was right.

Show the ref a slow replay and point out why it could be interpreted as foul/red/pen and the ref will always allow himself to be guided into agreeing.