Usmanov

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm all for running people like Abramovich and the man who, allegedly, controls much of what happens at Everton out of football. All for it. But are we really going to run Abramovich and Co. out for being beneficiaries of Putin's despotic regime while simultaneously allowing the Saudi Arabian government, you know, the people who bomb Yemen to smithereens, generously consider whether women should be allowed to drive, and chop people up in Turkish embassies to run our football clubs?

So, are we going to purge ourselves of people who have links to despotic regimes while welcoming people who ARE despotic regimes? Lots of confused thinking here, methinks.

You are forgetting who is arming the Saudis in their illegal campaign in Yemen, the UK and USA of course.
We'll basically need to ban everyone from owning a club

I'm afraid all of the above is complete nonsense and is causing the sort of culture that allows female MPs to be given death threats.

Corbyn is not the problem here, and neither is the idea we can critically look at what Nato has done.

We really need to dial the rhetoric back, and drop words like "traitor" which are extremely emotive and inevitably lead to violence.

The culture of needlessly targeting Russians for sanctions has helped contribute to this as well.

It patently isn't nonsense. Her own party sanctioned her for being a signatory to a 'Stop the War' statement in which they explicitly blamed NATO and the UK for their aggression.

It patently isn't nonsense. Her own party sanctioned her for being a signatory to a 'Stop the War' statement in which they explicitly blamed NATO and the UK for their aggression.

All that is further proof that starmer is an absolute scumbag

I think using words like vermin, or loon or whatever to essentially describe anti-war activists is really problematic. As is the word "traitor" that we are now seeing bandied about towards female MP's.

That's the consequence of the witch hunt we now have from our government, who themselves have been the biggest culprits in laundering Russian money. How much Russian money have Standard Chartered laundered I wonder? (An org who've actually been found guilty in a court for this stuff, not just have the crime of having to have a business that trades in Russia, or be born as a Russian).

Yet as soon as you turn the focus onto these questions there is no discussion, it just gets shut down, and names are launched. If people are so incredulous with anger, why can't they answer these points?

And why should I, or we as a football club take any moralism from a government that has financially benefited from donations far beyond anything we have ever done from Russian donations? If people can provide me answers to these perfectly reasonable questions, I am happy to re-examine my position. But nobody has thus far, I've had one person state to me something Margaret Hodge has intimated. Margaret Hodge the war mongering racist.

So yes, I'm happy as the next person to criticise Usmanov, as long as it's proportionate and consistent.

So on one hand your petticoats are in a twist because Zara Sultana gets called out, but then you yourself label Margaret Hodge a warmongering racist. Have I got that straight ?

I'm not defending any actions, I've said consistently the invasion is wrong.

I have stated that the largely Russian speaking/ethnically Russian areas of the country should be extended the same rights to self determination any other nation was granted, as part of a compromise yes.

No that process would not involve allow him to invade other countries. And no I dont see the link in allowing for self determination, and allow for occupation against a populations will. They are fundamentally different propositions. Opposites as it were.
Like Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland....?

This is an Everton forum,

A thread about Usmanov's involvement in Everton is fair enough, but pages and pages of this thread aren't about either.

I'm going to close this, I'll reopen the next time there's actual news regarding Usmanov/Everton with the hope and expectation that discussion will remain on topic.

If you want to discuss politics, we have a current affairs forum.

If you want to discuss Everton's board, etc, please use that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.