Using the squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except its not simple when it comes to the manager making the decision on the day. Its not as simple as picking the form players.

What about facing different opposition and using different tactics?

Facing an open and attacking Arsenal team or a Pulis busparking West Brom?

For example against West Brom he may have seen Baines and Pienaar showing their old form in training and decide that we need that cleverness to unlock a packed defence. Or that due to the lack of numbers West Brom will have in attack it is better to have the ball playing Stones instead of Funi Mori.

Its a squad game since many many years ago.

Fair enough mate accept the rotation, rest and tactics piece - but the basic principle still applies. If you give it everything for the full 90 and play consistently to the best of your ability then it makes the Mangers decisions that bit easier and you find that your ability and performance picks you (the majority of the time) not your name, your price tag, pundits or media.

Fair enough mate accept the rotation, rest and tactics piece - but the basic principle still applies. If you give it everything for the full 90 and play consistently to the best of your ability then it makes the Mangers decisions that bit easier and you find that your ability and performance picks you (the majority of the time) not your name, your price tag, pundits or media.

In fairness I don't think MArtinez is a manager who will put a player because of any of those criterias. Theres a few possible reasons for why he stuck with Howard, that would only be one of them.

You don`t change a winning team. End of.

Don't agree with this for all cases. I mean, generally I do, but it's certainly not a bulletproof rule. If you're facing a similar challenge then fair enough, but if we batter a crap team at home with an adventurous lineup, then have to (as an example) go away to City... I think the manager is within his rights to adjust the team. Sometimes our tactic is to dominate the ball, other times it's to counter-attack; you might not necessarily be able to do both to the fullest effect with the same XI.

Sounds just like a MOTD pundit. It's not just about playing well or being the most talented player or working hard. Some players will not work in certain situations. Other ones will. Most players at Everton will perform the job asked of them

The last couple of games have seen Stones, Baines and Deulofeu shut out. Is this a sign of a change in thinking from a manager who up to now has been stubbornly loyal to certain players ? Or just responses to specific circumstances ?

The level of competition for places is tremendous.

At centre back how do you pick two from Stones, Jagielka and Funes Mori ?

What to do with all the talent that we've got at left back ?

Deulofeu or Lennon ?

Should we leave out McCarthy to make way for Besic when he's fit ?

Cleverley, Pienaar or Miralles in left midfield ?

Where will Niasse fit into the picture ?

With such a strong squad and lack of European commitments we ought to have a least a shout of nailing a European place. So how should Martinez be using his squad ? Should there be some kind of rotation policy ? Or is it more important to give players runs of games as long as they're doing ok, before thinking about benching them ?

I don't think Martinez has been stubborn, most fans want our starting line up minus maybe kone but he's not featured much recently and Howard. The fact is Stones hasn't been great all season so giving him a break has been good for him. As for left mid I don't think anyone has really staked a claim and said they are good enough. On the right Del was rested and that led to Lennon getting a run and is now virtually un-droppable.

Sounds just like a MOTD pundit. It's not just about playing well or being the most talented player or working hard. Some players will not work in certain situations. Other ones will. Most players at Everton will perform the job asked of them
And what do you do when they don't?

Im always a keen advocate of not changing a winning team but as good as Lennon has been, I think I would prefer Geds trickery to open up a team that are just going to have a party in their own 6 yard box like WBA. In the same was if it was reversed and we were heading to an away game at Stoke I would probably prefer Lennon with his work rate over Geds hand wringing when hes getting clattered and booted up in the air

If lukaku has a bad game I wouldn't say drop him but when the whole season your keeper and defense are shipping goals and you stick with it then that is wrong. Ok give them a chance to regain confidence but he stubbornly refused to change team or tactics there for awhile, even this now has been forced upon him with injuries so when people are fit lets see what he does. We know we have a good team throughout the squad and it is what we have been screaming for for a season and a half, he needs to find a way of winning when we start to fall off or lose or draw badly, he never did, he kept the same team and players more or less, which was wrong and told us we were wrong for suggesting otherwise. now we are winning though against lesser opposition, the proof is still to come. we had some shocking decisions against us and bad mistakes were costly in quite a few matches that were not Martinez fault but changing the team around could've and can put a stop to some of them through the way the team dynamic and tactics change so nothing wrong with rotation while keeping a core team together or making it atleast a 15 man game by alternating the rotation but not always the same replacements each time, as long as the game demanded it depending on who we were playing, score and coming back from fitness, not played or played a lot recently, should be the decisions to weigh against In my opinion. If he has learnt by these recent matches then we can have a premier league winning side if he stubbornly refuses to change then he will fail us

Status
Not open for further replies.