UEFA Cup 'Round of 32'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welton Toffee

Player Valuation: £40m
OK, so earlier I was reading about the UEFA Cup on wiki, and I found this which I thought was quite interesting...

"Round of 32
This round is a knock-out round consisting of a home match at each side's grounds in the tie.

-The eight group winners will be drawn against the eight third-place teams.
-The eight second-place teams will be drawn against the eight teams who finished third in the Champions League groups. "

So surely, in some cases, it would be more beneficial to finish third then to finish second :blink:

Ah well, hopefully we'll win the group ;)

Win the group - to get the easier option, and also its just better to win stuff :) then after the knockout stages we get to the final and play liverpool, bayern munich, sevilla or valencia in the final - thats the hope :)

second in the group means CL drop out sides in the initial round of knockout games.

topping the group could and seems to be most beneficial place, but there are no guarantees, im sure if we finished third some sides would resent drawing us.

I think RS will finish bottom of their group therefore they won't even make it to UEFA. Or at least i hope.

Lets just try and win the group and let the draw take care of itself. After all, if we do manage to top the group it's reasonable to assume that we've come to terms with European football quite well and have defeated some decent sides en route. We should fear no one in those circumstances. We've already shown in the past 18 months that we can give all teams a good run.

Take last season for instance. Unbeaten against Liverpool, good results against Arsenal, really should have beaten both United and Chelsea. This season again we've beaten Spurs convincingly and should have beaten Liverpool. I know people will say should have, should have but the point is that we're competing on equal terms with pretty much every team in the PL now so shouldn't fear anyone in the draw.

im sure if we finished third some sides would resent drawing us.

I think most sides would resent being drawn against us in a knockout stage on two legs. It doesn't matter if it's Bayern Munich or Villareal or whatever. We won't be the worst side by far if we reach the next phase... and the best teams know they are the favourites to go through if they get us, but will know as well that there were a whole bunch of easier teams to be drawn against as well.

I had a dream last night that we were still in Europe and the RS were not just kidding but boy it would be bloody marvellous if it worked out like that.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.