Homepage Update: UEFA Competitions – time for a rethink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

Staff member
AndyC submitted a new blog post

UEFA Competitions – time for a rethink?
evertonecwc-1024x444.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Agree with all of that, but UEFA won't change. Too many of their favourite clubs would miss out on the spotlight if they didn't qualify for the CL. The RS would never qualify as they never win the league these days and UEFA wouldn't like that.

Good read, thanks.

But as @summerisle says it's about the money and nothing else.

There was no Sky / BT, "global audience " with the advertising revenue that fuels all this too.

They want the likes of Man U, Barca, Real etc to be constantly involved, so they can keep feeding the money monster it's become.

All the money goes to them, they get richer, rinse and repeat.

Hence why it's becoming harder and harder for so called smaller clubs to ever join the party.

Agree with that Andy with the exception of:

I feel that unless the current UEFA competitions are revised, then ultimately, the current Champions League will end up as the mechanism whereby UEFA constitutes a European League aimed purely and solely at the current so-called ‘Big Four’ or elite clubs in the major countries.
I don't think there is any appetite from fans for this to happen and would be the death knell of football.

I think that they should scrap the existing set up. Have a 64 team competition, made of 16 groups of 4, each play each other twice. Winner of the group go into last 16 for the "Champions league" trophy, 2nd place teams go into last 16 for the "Europa League" trophy and 3rd place team go into last 16 for the old "cup winners cup" trophy. 4th place go home.

I think the main problem with the current competitions are there is too much cannon fodder, most groups in either the champions league or Europa League have 2 good teams and 2 poor teams, 9 times out of 10 you can pick the 2 teams that are going through before a ball is kicked, we need competitions with more teams from the top ranked 14 countries and less from the bottom ranked 40 countries. Therefore I would allocate 54 places to the top 14 ranked nations and the remaining 40 nations would need to qualify for the remaining 10 places

Changes I'd like to see:

Prize money between the 2 competitions should be more even.

Europa League should be made back into a cup competition.

(This way it wont knacker your season if you get knocked out early. However if you go far then the financial rewards will be high)

Agree with you Andy, its a mockery how it is now. The Champions League may as well be rebranded the European super league and be invite only.

Don't think it will ever change back though. It would help that the winners of the Europa league get just as much cash as CL semi finalists and scrap 3rd place teams dropping into the Europa league as that just shows that it is a second rate tournament.

Also if you only allowed the top 3 from the big leagues in the CL it would instantly boost the Europa by having bigger names competing in it.

Easy fixes, but like the FA they can't see the wood for the trees. All they had to do with the cup is give a CL place for winning it, more cash plus make it the last game of the season at 3pm on a Saturday. The FA cup would then become the game of the season again.

Should keep the CL to champions only but massively ramp up the prize money in the Europa. You'd have unbelievable levels of competition in both tournaments but keep the prestige of the CL. It would also stop the likes of Arsenal just wasting a spot each year in the CL.

I also think whatever prize money a country earns from their teams should be split between the league members. That would increase competition and collective wealth across all the leagues in Europe and bring different teams to the table. As it stands there's 5 or 6 super teams, a few old crones that used to be good who still rake in cash, and UEFA couldn't give a stuff about any other team in their entire federation.

A competition is only worth what the mass of fans think it's worth.

Seems to me that the Europa has very little prestige for the most part in this country.

Looking at what people on here say, it's all about away day beer and brass. Fair enough - Evertonians need all the cheering up they can get, but for all but the winners, not a lot going for the competition as a whole.

All league winners and then second placed teams in e.g. top 6 leagues should go into the Champions league.

2nd and 3rd place teams in weaker leagues and then 3rd place teams in the stronger 6 leagues cane make up a UEFA Cup.

And then all the cup winners (or runners up/lower table placed teams) in a cup winner's cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.