Transfer Fee Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

john jako

CHIEF SCOUT EVERTON FC LTD
Does a transfer fee change your thoughts on an individual?

Take for example Iwobi and Bernard. We all now realise they are both ineffective and crap. One cost 30 mill and one came in on a free. Does the cost make you dislike/fume more with the individual? And should it even though the fee paid is down to the incompetence of the board?

Does a transfer fee change your thoughts on an individual?

Take for example Iwobi and Bernard. We all now realise they are both ineffective and crap. One cost 30 mill and one came in on a free. Does the cost make you dislike/fume more with the individual? And should it even though the fee paid is down to the incompetence of the board?

The more expensive they are, the more annoying it is when they're poor

I don't get any less annoyed about Bernard though - he's on over £100k per week, this will make him at least as difficult as Iwobi to get rid of

It definitely makes a massive difference. Of course the player doesn't set their fee but our expectations will pretty much be set by the amount we pay for a player. It's not a strange concept either, it makes perfect sense. I'm quite happy paying a fiver for a McDonalds but if it was twenty quid for a meal i'd have never gone back after my first trip. It's very much the same principle. I've said before, someone like Cahill is the perfect example of this. We love him mainly because he was good value. If we'd paid £30m for him, suddenly his 7/8 goals a season wouldn't have seemed quite so fantastic.

Of course it does. You can take a chance on a cheaper player, with less serious consequences if it doesn't work out. Like for like, you can also stand to make a bigger profit on such players if they prove worthy.

The larger part of our problems over the last few seasons, as we all know, is simply not getting value for money on literally an entire squads worth of players, both in terms of fees and wages. We can't move them on as quickly or for as much as we would like.

That creates the vicious circle - we have proportionally more players needing to be replaced and cannot generate decent returns to rebuild properly. So we cut corners and compromise and sign more Iwobis.

The days of signing another Coleman for 60k are gone but compare that to even Fabian Delph now. Not so much in the fee paid but I suppose Delph is on a more than decent wage. All resources are finite and there is an economic cost to be paid for failed transfers particularly on the scale we have failed.

The more expensive they are, the more annoying it is when they're poor

I don't get any less annoyed about Bernard though - he's on over £100k per week, this will make him at least as difficult as Iwobi to get rid of
Bernard is our highest earner.

Nice lad but as strong as a puppy. Absolutely not the future and is costing a fortune. I'd honestly get rid for whatever amount, and even if we pay a proportion of his wage we still save £££££.

I'm not annoyed at him though, or Iwobi.

....it’s all Monopoly money. There were lots who thought £50m was too much for Richarlison, yet he’s worth more than that now.

You can only judge a players worth by his effectiveness to the team and his re-sale value, but every player has a fee the buying club are prepared to meet.

Is it just me that had absolutely no idea how much a player cost when they were younger, and had no desire to know. I used to absolutely love the game. Every waking hour playing it.

My knowledge of the financial stuff has a direct correlation to my reduction in joy for the sport. Maybe its just that as I've gotten older there is a realisation that the whole game, for decades, has only ever been about money and exploitation.

It makes me annoyed at the club rather than the individual player.

Not Iwobis fault we bought him when everyone knows he's crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.