Top nine EFC number nines.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ronaldo mustn't be far off those goals per game ratios for Real Madrid now too. They're freaks of nature though. Statistics like theirs don't come around too often, let alone in the same league at the same time!
Ronaldo has scored 219 in 197 for Real. Crazy record.

As others have said though, don't think we'll have someone with Dixie's scoring record ever again.

Referring to the old gent previously mentioned, Mr Kenny said Lawton may well have beaten Dean!s career record if he hadn't been called up to fight in the Second World War! Jaw hen you consider how many he scored in spite of that wee spat with dolphins, he must have been a fabulous forward!

Hard to argue with the list really. I know some will say Alex Young (Golden vision) but he was never really a number 9. The pre war Alex Young probably should have been in there.

The big omission for me though is Roy Vernon. Scored 20+ league goals in 3 consecutive seasons and won the league with us. A top draw finisher and poacher.

I think we might struggle to see a player score 100 for us in the near future, nevermind anywhere near Dean's record.

dean was scoring them with a 6lb football (when wet) and getting genuine GBH off centre half's every match! It must have been an almost religious experience to see him play. I knew an old guy, Mr Kenny, who was there when he scored his first header at Goodison after nearly dying in the motorcycle crash and the rumour had got around that he would never be able to head the ball again. Mr Kenny said that when it Dean's header went in, it was the first time he had really felt happy since returning from the Somme, that's some f*cking statement that! He said Dean was the closest thing he had ever seen to perfection.

My Dad seen Dixie play in all the home games including the record season. Often talked about him but reckoned Tommy Lawton was right up there with him!

Hard to argue with the list really. I know some will say Alex Young (Golden vision) but he was never really a number 9. The pre war Alex Young probably should have been in there.

The big omission for me though is Roy Vernon. Scored 20+ league goals in 3 consecutive seasons and won the league with us. A top draw finisher and poacher.

Sadly though it was a number 10 on his back.

Lawton has to be up there with the all time Everton great number 9s, having scored in every game one season.

.....some lovely stories about him going the game on the tram with the fans. Very unassuming apparently but the record suggests an outstanding player.

Status
Not open for further replies.