Tommy Lawton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebonic

Player Valuation: £35m
I felt really sad reading an article recently about how he ended his life in debt and how a number of letters from the great man to Richard Attenborough (asking for financial help) were recently auctioned. I used to know and old guy (who saw him as well as Dixie Dean and he always maintained that if the second world war hadn't taken the best years from him (he missed seven full seasons) that he might well have broken all of Dean's records, that is how good the guy was! As it was he scored 246 goals in 420 games.

The old guy told me Lawton was almost as good as Dean in the air, but was much more skillful on the deck, it seems such a shame that such a legendary player was reduced to such straits.

Apologies if this has been covered already?

I felt really sad reading an article recently about how he ended his life in debt and how a number of letters from the great man to Richard Attenborough (asking for financial help) were recently auctioned. I used to know and old guy (who saw him as well as Dixie Dean and he always maintained that if the second world war hadn't taken the best years from him (he missed seven full seasons) that he might well have broken all of Dean's records, that is how good the guy was! As it was he scored 246 goals in 420 games.

The old guy told me Lawton was almost as good as Dean in the air, but was much more skillful on the deck, it seems such a shame that such a legendary player was reduced to such straits.

He was also given a tough time by Kelly who effectively forced him out.

....yep, it is a sad story. I remember it being raised some time ago by @The Esk i think.

Didn't Everton have a testimonial for him, might be thinking of someone else but I'm sure they did, and your right, if you look at his record he stands comparison with Dean. I think he is a forgotten legend for Everton very rarely mentioned when the true greats of our club are discussed.

My old man saw him play (he also saw Dean right at the end of his career), reckoned he could turn and shoot so quickly you could miss it if you blinked! That was one of the bedtime tales he would often recount, but he rated him as highly as Young, Harvey and Ball.

My father who had seen both players always said that Lawton was the better of the two. Terrible end for a great player.

Looks like Attenborough was a bit of a miserable sod.

Status
Not open for further replies.