Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Cheese melted on Team Selection

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ilikecheese

Member: Team PoP
Today is probably not the ideal day to start this thread. Probably shouldn't do this on a match day.

I've read on here many, many times 'that you don't change a winning side'.

I'd like to hear from both sides on this. I find it illogical to not tinker and change if it gives us the best chance to win based on matchups.

Anyway, thoughts?

You can change a winning side - say you fluked a win and you have people coming back into the team, or you think other players would suit the opposition (say in an away game).

However, most of the time you look for consistency and go with your best side. If a side you selected just won 3-0 away against the odds, that is more likely than not going to be your best side for the upcoming game, and something or someone exceptional would be needed to change that.

Of course you do. Obviously some players will earn their places in the team and deserve another start. But if you win at home against Norwich, you shouldn't set up the same way against Chelsea away. They can wait for their second start if the team's needs are different.

It's cowardly to rely on recieved wisdom either way.

If it's best to change, you change. If it isn't you don't.

Alex Ferguson went 2 years without naming the same xi twice in a row. And he won a fair bit in that time.

But you can change too much as well, players need to get used to each other.

Good managers are ruthless/play their best teams imo. Well remember Kendall dropping Bailey for Van Den Hauwe, and Richardson for Bracewell.

Tubey's pretty much nailed it.

If Oviedo and Mirallas weren't fully fit then starting with the same eleven that beat Soton made a lot of sense. If Oviedo had been fit then that's really the only change I'd have considered.

Watch this for fence-sitting......

I'm in two minds over this. Obviously if a side wins convincingly, then I would be hesitant to change it. However, if you know that certain players and methods will be more effective against certain teams, then you should adapt, and play your most effective, strong and appropriate side.

Essentially, choose the right tool for the job.

Well if you are prepared to change your tactics and mentality depending on the opposition there should be no reason why you don't change the players. I mean I don't think we are going to be needing multiple DM's at home to lesser sides nor should Cleverley be on the wing.

It's a squad game these days and with the amount of money getting thrown at teams there is no excuse to not at least have a capable one.

Considering the standard of the performance against Southampton, I think if the manager changed the line up he would be more open to criticism. The less risky choice was always to keep the side the same.

I'm in two minds over this. Obviously if a side wins convincingly, then I would be hesitant to change it. However, if you know that certain players and methods will be more effective against certain teams, then you should adapt, and play your most effective, strong and appropriate side.

I never knew you were a Chico multi...mind blown here.

I felt we were very narrow today, and City exploited this to the full, but in RM defence could he have risked two wingers in those conditions coming back from hammy injuries?

Status
Not open for further replies.