The Unsworth post-mortem

Status
Not open for further replies.
He bottled it and looked like a broken man after the Southampton defeat, he near enough begged to be removed from the role and said 'it's killing me'. The pressure got to him massively.

You make some good points but you’ve been very, very kind in the negative column.

He’s done a decent job in the circumstances, and i’m grateful for that. I’m just as grateful that he won’t be in charge any longer though.

His reluctance to get the team to get on the ball and play is what has cost him his chance at the big time. Still, he did a good job in a very, difficult situation so he has my thanks and I hope he looks to prove what a good manager he can be if offered a job in League One/The Championship.

You make some good points but you’ve been very, very kind in the negative column.

He’s done a decent job in the circumstances, and i’m grateful for that. I’m just as grateful that he won’t be in charge any longer though.

I wasn't as wordy in the negative, but I think being naive in the way we set up, and not getting down to basics was the crux of whatever bad happened.

Love the fella. But he appeared to think that simply changing the personnel would be enough to win games when he should having been working on improving the back line that had lost all organisation and resolve, and followed by the centre midfield who offered no protection to that defence.

With Big Dunc, he gave us one of the craziest managerial celebrations I've ever seen...loved it though.

Clearly loves the club, took on a massive job with a club at it's knees almost, realised the job wouldn't be his but never lost sight of the real goal, that being what's best for the club.

The disappointment I had was that he didn’t put his defensive stamp on the team early enough, previously working with a variety of different youngsters to shape them has been his forte. Even though it was a lower level he does it really well , he rarely had the same defence two matches running but shaped them effectively.
It obviously took him a few games to get to grips with the players and that I would put down to a lack of experience at this level. Managers who do quick changes in fortunes are usually very experienced or know the players well because they were assistant managers like Shakespeare at Leicester. Unsy would know the players but would not have worked closely with them before his step up, and similarly the players would not have known him that well either. It’s perhaps no surprises that the two players who have stood out the best in his time we’re Kenny and Beningime, two players he knows well and they knew him so instructing them in what he wanted was easier.
He still has a huge part to play in our club, six of the outfield players used yesterday had played under him for the U23s and there are seven players out on loan in the Championship that he has worked with . I hope he continues to have an influence and doesn’t get shunted aside by Lee and Shakespeare.

Status
Not open for further replies.