The most stratospheric managerial rise in football history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matelot

Player Valuation: £5m
Watching the Man Utd v Chelsea game I was wondering if David Moyes has a shout at having achieved the fastest (in terms of clubs managed) managerial rise up the ladder in football history? If you consider that Man Utd are arguably one of the top three teams in the world, assuming Real Madrid and Barcelona make up the other two, then he made the jump from Preston to Man Utd in three clubs.

This is not a thread to discuss Moyes (as I know a lot of you hate him) but I'd be interested to hear if anybody considers another manager to have achieved something similar faster. I was surprised to find out that Mourinho's first stint at Chelsea was his fourth club as Manager.

Any other shouts?

Got to be Villas Boas. From being appointed manager of Academica De Coimbra to Chelsea in two seasons with Porto between.

Good shout, three clubs as well. Jurgen Klopp got the Borussia Dortmund gig in two clubs as well.

Nah, that's basically a gradual improvement.

Would say Chelsea are better than Inter mate, especially with how they've been. Mourinho winning the CL with Inter is what has most impressed me. He suits Italian football down to the ground though.

Thought Brennan had finally pulled it off and landed the barca job or something then.

disappointed tbh

Would say Chelsea are better than Inter mate, especially with how they've been. Mourinho winning the CL with Inter is what has most impressed me. He suits Italian football down to the ground though.

Well yeah they are, but Inter are a bigger club so it's not much of a step down. They've been awful lately, though. He does. He can play the slow, defensive style as well as anyone. Don't think he liked it, though, and apparently the Italian media didn't like him much.

Not at the same statospheric level, but Nigel Adkins had an impressive rise - the physio of S****horpe in league 1, became caretaker manager in the 06 / 07 season. Got them promoted and eventually managed Southampton in the premiership in 12/13.

Can't be too many physios in the lower leagues eyeing up the premiership dugouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.