The League Cup next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khalekan

Player Valuation: £80m
There is going to be a gaping hole in our lives next season when we won't have the Thursday Night Cup of blessed memory to brighten our midweeks as the autumn kicks in and the days shorten.

So I expect a full on effort made in the Capital 1 Cup, or whatever name the League Cup has next season.

No messing about with under strength teams even in the early rounds if we have lower league opponents.

I have cheered myself up immensely after Kiev by telling myself those great European nights will return in a mere seventeen months time happen we put this miserable campaign behind us and start next season on the front foot.

Europa League back on the menu by August or September of next year.

And the League Cup offers a splendid opportunity to make this happen.

I'd rather play the youth team and pretend the competition didn't exist to be honest. Hardly any money from winning it, hardly any prize from winning it either. It literally is just a lump of metal - the investment in effort for a small chance of a Europa League qualification reward simply isn't worth the time. There's a reason the clubs we should be in and around don't bother fielding proper teams until the latter stages.

But, of course, those desperate for some kind of trophy will disagree with me. I can sort of understand that, but my priority by some distance is improving in the league and using the lack of Europe to have a shot at the FA Cup, which is a far more significant prize.

Considering we've not won anything for 20 odd years we can't afford to be snobbish about the league cup, in fact considering our appalling record in the competition we should be placing greater emphasis on it. We need to kick start a successful period somehow and if it means starting with the league cup so be it, it's not like the trophy cabinets bulging open.

I don't see why it should get any further attention than in previous seasons.

We're never going to win it so what's the point?

We've tried playing full strength in the past. Didn't work.

We've tried putting young player in. But they were Francisco Junior.

We've tried massive changes to the line up. But Distin got his fanny in a flap.

It's just never going to happen.

I would be happy if we just give it a good go in every match be it league or cup. Just as long as we play with pride and get a decent win rate.

You know what will happen. Bobby will say we've targeted the League cup and fa cup at the start of the season and they are our absolute priority. Then we end up drawing Arsenal away for one and Chelsea away for the other.

Everton that

p.s please note we could not be drawn agajnst either of the above in the 2nd round of the League cup as they get a bye, so please don't put your mortgage on my predictions based on nothing but being an Evertonian kicked in the balls for 30 odd years.

You know what will happen. Bobby will say we've targeted the League cup and fa cup at the start of the season and they are our absolute priority. Then we end up drawing Arsenal away for one and Chelsea away for the other.

Everton that

p.s please note we could not be drawn agajnst either of the above in the 2nd round of the League cup as they get a bye, so please don't put your mortgage on my predictions based on nothing but being an Evertonian kicked in the balls for 30 odd years.

30 years?

Meh......you're just starting off, macca.

There is still a long hard road in front of you :p

Status
Not open for further replies.