The Handball

This is the problem with VAR. I have no problem with some of the calls given. However, they allow officials to make silly judgement calls depending on the “vibes” aka Arsenal are in a title race etc. just blatant favoritism and BS. If Onana’s handball was a handball, that clowns handball was a handball. He deliberately used his arm to direct the ball. It is indisputable.

I don't really see how it's possible for Oliver to not be considering that they were in the title race and what effect the decision could have had, and that's most of the problem. There should be no difference between a goal for one of the 'big 6' and a consolation goal in a boring mid table game between Palace and Fulham.

It's definitely a handball, and Oliver not changing his decision contributes directly to the overall sense of untrustworthiness. The VAR's told him he's wrong, and he's ignored it. It's one of the worst decisions of the season, but will disappear because ultimately the game didn't matter.

Once again a pundit on MOTD displaying a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the rules and getting away with it. What a surprise.

Once again a pundit on MOTD displaying a complete lack of knowledge and understanding of the rules and getting away with it. What a surprise.
It's maddening.

The number of pundits (face it, it's not only Shearer) who are completely unaware of the rules that apply is mind-bending.

A pundit should have to pass a referees exam to get a seasonal contract. They can't keep chatting crap with no comeback.

Thats so bad its comical. I wonder if he was aware or not of the the current score at man city and sh!t himself at taking a possible title away from arsenal.
I reckon if city were losing he would have given that as hand ball. He could give the league to arsenal on that basis. I guess he thought, it’s an end of the sarson dead rubber, Everton are irrelevant, let’s give arsenal the send off they deserve.

The club needs to grow the biggest pair and push this to the limit, got all summer.
Ridicule the FA s favourite ref by refusing him any of our games in the future.

Yep, thays exactly what Everton should be doing. They should ridicule the PL and call out Masters who was witness to thay decision and say "there's your product, match fixing in plain sight of everyone".

There is a definitely an underlying understanding between the PL and the PGMOL that they need to factor in ‘the brand’ when they are making their decisions. There’s no other possible explanation for what Oliver did yesterday than trying to spice things up a bit.

It’s getting beyond a joke how many points the Sky 6 get airlifted to because of gift decisions. Instead of sacking off VAR, the other 14 clubs should be using their voting majority to introduce rules that attempt to rebalance the league.

VAR is useful insofar that it shines a light on the awfulness of the referees for all to see. Without it things will just go back to how they used to be with the same 6 teams getting all of the decisions hiding behind the excuses of human error.

Felt for a long time that games are being refereed with an eye on “the narrative”.

Toward the end of the 2018/19 season, Liverpool were awarded a very late free kick away at Newcastle, which they scored a winner from. It was never a free kick in a million years, but it kept the title race alive, and it went to the last day.

I would put Arsenal’s second in that category. Very dodgy decision, but keeps the Premier League slightly more relevant for a few more minutes.

But it’s a load of crap. I don’t really care about the title race, but a hard earned draw at the emirates is something to be proud of.

Another embarrassing day for football blatant handball for Arsenal winner

However, former Arsenal forward Merson and ex-Premier League referee Dean could not believe that a handball was not awarded against Gabriel Jesus with Michael Oliver not swayed by being asked to go over to the screen by the VAR.

“The ball comes in, as it comes in he goes like that with his arm, he goes and has a look and my god, can you believe it?” Merson asked on Sky Sports Soccial Special (19 May, 17:54).

Dean replied: “No. We had one last week at Bournemouth where someone hand balled it, two more passes and the balls in the back of the net, he was sent to the screen to see if it was a subjective handball or not, the goal then gets disallowed.

“This is an exact carbon copy where he’s knocked it past him, there’s one pass and it’s in the back of the net, I think it should be chalked off.”
The fact that you have an Arsenal legend and an ex ref who is desperate to back ref decisions whenever possible who are both baffled by how this can stand says it all

Felt for a long time that games are being refereed with an eye on “the narrative”.

Toward the end of the 2018/19 season, Liverpool were awarded a very late free kick away at Newcastle, which they scored a winner from. It was never a free kick in a million years, but it kept the title race alive, and it went to the last day.

I would put Arsenal’s second in that category. Very dodgy decision, but keeps the Premier League slightly more relevant for a few more minutes.

But it’s a load of crap. I don’t really care about the title race, but a hard earned draw at the emirates is something to be proud of.
Yeah spot on that mate, I’ve felt the same

For me it’s been this was since the Aguero goal. Everyone said title races peaked at that moment and Sky are desperate to try and manufacture more high drama at the cost of actually following the rules of the game

Just popped onto twitter to see other football fans opinions and the amount that don't think it's handball is staggering.

I don't care if his arm was by his side. He swiveled his body around and leant into it. His arm acted as an extension to his body and changed the direction of the ball! If he hadn't of done that the ball would have gone straight past him.