The future

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Curran effect

Player Valuation: £25k
Having grown up watching title winning sides I am wondering if I am reading the situation correctly as time is moving on.We have money but can’t spend it.Wait for new stadium.Improve our ffp situation.Improve our squad from that point.This ain’t Macclesfield.Our owner is a billionaire who had to be approved to run the club but ffp stops us.So off top of my head that near 10yrs before anywhere near challenging.

Reading this has just made me realise how crap we really are. I was 7 when we last won a trophy. I can only remember 2 good things other than that in my life time. That was a top 4 finish first half of that season we was great. Also the FA cup final we lost against Chelsea now there as been some decent moments like that europa league run. Couple of semi finals Bobby browns shoes first season but it hasn’t been much joy. I also don’t think we will ever win the league in my life time. The stadium is massive tho that’s the only positive thing I have about Everton at the moment.

I know things have moved on but if someone had said to me in 1982/83 two years on we would have a team capable of winning trophies and as good as any team in Europe I wouldn't have believed them ,it's the hope that kills us
You are spot on.I remember being there against Newport with 13000 there then I remember being there and watching Trevor Steven one game and I knew something was happening they just clicked.The way it is now with money and poor attitudes I can’t see it.

Having grown up watching title winning sides I am wondering if I am reading the situation correctly as time is moving on.We have money but can’t spend it.Wait for new stadium.Improve our ffp situation.Improve our squad from that point.This ain’t Macclesfield.Our owner is a billionaire who had to be approved to run the club but ffp stops us.So off top of my head that near 10yrs before anywhere near challenging.

We don't need to wait for the stadium to spend, we are waiting for the two large years of -100 million to drop off. So technically we could go big in 2023 again. Whether we do or not is another matter.

Likely we will spend large next summer as Richarlison and/or DCL will be gone. That will free up the financial regulations like a mofo. However we still have to spend it right which leads to...

We’ll never ever challenge for anything inin our lifetime.

I’m glad I’ve witnessed success

I think we are going to spend it better the 2nd time around but still it's going to be difficult to win anything when you've got City and Chelsea still spending big with massive headstarts. Newcastle can blow 300 million if they want to go there. And that's before we get to the RS and utd. Our only hope is that when the stadium is built someone with Saudi type cash wants us.

We’ll never ever challenge for anything in our lifetime.

I’m glad I’ve witnessed success
Lucky you, I`m 42 and all I can remember is the FA Cup win. I was 8 in 1987 and do not really remember it...

All I`ve seen is constant failure and false dawns after failure and more false dawns.

I agree, we wont win anything or sustain any period of success again in my lifetime, we might get another lucky cup but success in this city is reserved for the Reds... Sad to see our once great club dragged to its knees in the last 30 years by incompetent people that success is the club staying in the PL.

I think the general feeling amongst most fans is "whats the point", I`m nearly there.

We don't need to wait for the stadium to spend, we are waiting for the two large years of -100 million to drop off. So technically we could go big in 2023 again. Whether we do or not is another matter.

Likely we will spend large next summer as Richarlison and/or DCL will be gone. That will free up the financial regulations like a mofo. However we still have to spend it right which leads to...

I think we are going to spend it better the 2nd time around but still it's going to be difficult to win anything when you've got City and Chelsea still spending big with massive headstarts. Newcastle can blow 300 million if they want to go there. And that's before we get to the RS and utd. Our only hope is that when the stadium is built someone with Saudi type cash wants us.
I’m not so sure about spending it right.It’s like a soap opera we have players who look like they have never been introduced to a football and they keep starting when they clearly are no good.Attitude try the young ones at least give them a chance.

Lucky you, I`m 42 and all I can remember is the FA Cup win. I was 8 in 1987 and do not really remember it...

All I`ve seen is constant failure and false dawns after failure and more false dawns.

I agree, we wont win anything or sustain any period of success again in my lifetime, we might get another lucky cup but success in this city is reserved for the Reds... Sad to see our once great club dragged to its knees in the last 30 years by incompetent people that success is the club staying in the PL.

I think the general feeling amongst most fans is "whats the point", I`m nearly there.
That’s the point I feel you but we were like that and it came and it’s brilliant hang in there.

Reading this has just made me realise how crap we really are. I was 7 when we last won a trophy. I can only remember 2 good things other than that in my life time. That was a top 4 finish first half of that season we was great.
even that first half season wasn’t really “great”. It was stressful as hell. Every game was 1-0 and absolute backs to the wall. Pretty sure I aged about 10 years that season.

I’m not so sure about spending it right.It’s like a soap opera we have players who look like they have never been introduced to a football and they keep starting when they clearly are no good.Attitude try the young ones at least give them a chance.

There are a few issues to why our players are like that though. 1) They haven't had one manager long enough to establish a core message of Everton play like x that becomes ingrained. It's a hodgepodge of numerous voices. 2) Players don't have to take the flak and can just hide and reappear after a new man has been appointed. We have had times when our form has been excellent but we lose one or two and their incentive to try and attain something goes and they fall back on 'well I'm getting my 100k a week so I'm okay' attitude. 3) We are in the worst period I have ever known for injuries. I've never witnessed the spine been torn away for that number of games under a new manager. Of course that is going to affect confidence and make it difficult to get results which in turn spins that vicious cycle on and on. 4) Because we overspent on crap we've had to course correct sharply and where at one stage we could have at least called upon Vlasic, Lookman, Sigurdsson (obviously for different reasons but he still is an option not available), Walcott, Kean, James and so on, we now have limited choices and that make it more difficult to pick up points. I hope this has been deliberately done to enable us a decent budget to have 22 really good players instead of a scattergun collection that aren't able to play together and/or don't cover the key positions if the first choice is out. If so I can understand why we have taken that risk to get back to ground level as quickly as possible to enable us to not have to compromise.

Young players can only supplement, you can see with our hopefuls that have gone backwards as the pressure is too much to take. We don't play well enough to let them find their feet and the exuberance and carefree attitude they are supposed to add dwindles and dies before they can establish themselves. Only when we fix the core issues can we start to develop youth again.

The first few games or so we had a high xG for and a low against so we were going in the right direction. The pace we added in Gray and Townsend were working and while you couldn't say it was pure, brilliant football it was getting results. Let's not get carried away with doom and gloom until we see what it's like again with those players back. Whenever a hands on manager comes in and implements change it isn't going to take time, players make mistakes, snap back to old ways under pressure. Our support need to understand that and by and large have done in the past but because who our current manager is they want to use this period to try and force him out for their short term gain, instead of thinking of what is best for the club longer term. Someone is going to have to clear house here and only an established manager is going to get that time and be able to withstand the pressure. Someone like Potter wouldn't have a hope in hell, so to get to the point where we can get a progressive like him again the foundation needs to be put in place.

I just want us to change the mentality of the club me, untill that happens nothing will ever change.

Look at the city game for example, fella dives and goes down in the box rolling around, Everton in possession decides to kick the ball out for treatment one nil down.

Can’t remember the last time I was genuinely excited going to a football match, it’s just a routine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.