The Everton Board Thread

Hey Bill and the rest of the board. Here's a Finnish beer for you:

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 64
Funny thi g about it is, Villa have done the exact same thing before under O'Neill and it's what ultimately wrecked them for over a decade as a club, same as it did Leeds for even longer.

We where right on the precipice of doing the same.

With current regulations you can't buy your way anymore (as you literally have a three year window to achieve massive growth and success - which is almost impossible unless you get lucky or have brilliant people in charge at all levels) you have to organically grow into being 'bigger' grow commercial deals, grow investment and sponsorship, qualify for Europe whilst maintaining a healthy and sustainable cost/wage structure.

Every club is owned by a billionaire.

What happens in that situation, is the amount of money you can spend becomes less and less relevant, how you spend it becomes more important.

Which would matter hugely if it related at all to the issues we have which are with P&S regs of the league not FPP ones which unless we're playing in Europe don't matter at all.

Villa are doing exactly what we did, overpaying, paying unsustainable wages long term, signing player at or past their peak with little to no resale value and who they'll end up lumbered with unable to move them on.

If they don't break into regular European qualification they have a huge problem in 2-3 seasons time.

Yes looks like the PL arent changing rules (which is nuts to have 2 different sets of rules, but hey ho).

Gerarrd is Koemaning it at Villa as well. He doesnt care as he wants to donate good job for 1-2 years to get the Liverpool job, but he will set them behind the 8 ball, much as we were under Koeman.

Things started going badly wrong with the appointment of Allardyce.
In hindsight the appointment of Koeman was the start of the decline because of the amount of money he wasted... so the Moshiri era was ruinous from the start.

My point was that for some time during his reign Evertonians were more hopeful of the clubs fortunes being restored than they had been for years.

In hindsight the appointment of Koeman was the start of the decline because of the amount of money he wasted... so the Moshiri era was ruinous from the start.

My point was that for some time during his reign Evertonians were more hopeful of the clubs fortunes being restored than they had been for years.
Yes, I was initially, even with the Koeman debacle, it was his knee jerk hiring of that loathsome creature Allardyce that finished me with him. It was obvious to me at that point that he would never even come close to understanding football in general and Everton in particular.

Yes, I was initially, even with the Koeman debacle, it was his knee jerk hiring of that loathsome creature Allardyce that finished me with him. It was obvious to me at that point that he would never even come close to understanding football in general and Everton in particular.
Unfortunately I think your final sentence sums Moshiri well.... never understood Everton or football in general.

Who, I wonder, was he actually listening to when making his decisions ?

Unfortunately I think your final sentence sums Moshiri well.... never understood Everton or football in general.

Who, I wonder, was he actually listening to when making his decisions ?
And the more that comes out about him each year, such as the overruling on transfers, the chasing of managers, some of the just crazy decisions, reinforces his absolute lack of understanding.

That isn't true.
The result of the Moshiri era has been miserable but for quite some time we were riding on his coat tails with great optimism.

The various spending sprees funded by him, the appointment of Ancellotti were all high points for Evertonians.

Things really only started going badly south with the appointment of Benitez.

That is not saying the club was well run in the early days of his tenure but it certainly gave us more hope than we had in some time.

It was the Ukraine war and the sanctioning of Usmanov that has seen off Moshiri more than anything else.
I started to truly believe the club was finished during Ancelotti’s second season. The club and the players just seemed absolutely toxic and even he couldn’t get a tune out of them

I’d argue the decline was before that. Finishing 7th was seen as success. The mentality has changed over the years and the Moshiri era is the vomit sprinkle to finish it off.

“I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. It is a wonderful country for football, a wonderful club, but very difficult to manage,” he told them.

“Especially because the owners are very involved, which makes them easy to influence. That makes it very difficult sometimes.

“I think more English clubs suffer from that, but I wouldn’t have missed the experience I gained there for anything. Let’s put it this way; of course, we did good things.

“Only that was also the frustration. You don’t get the grip that is needed to really change things.

“We have made steps internally, in the youth academy and with the transfers from the first year.

“But then you see the impatience, and you fall back after having made steps by simple things. That’s a real shame because it’s a beautiful club with beautiful fans.”