The Everton Board Thread 2014/15

Is it time for change?

• I'm happy with the way thing are. Kenwright and the Board should stay.

• Kenwright and the board need to go. We need change.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed.
Let's face it, we are for one reason or another one of the least proactive group of fans in the country. My personal belief is that our traditionalism is in this sense holding us back: Evertonians came from purity, and desire purity. We go the game for football and frankly the financial end of things takes us out the magic of the game and into the mire of reality. And if you know your history... isn't just some stock phrase, it's a genuine creed. The modern world has never been kind to us, and it's easier to hide from that fact than confront it.

We need to sort it out though, because we can't live on past glories forever - much as I'd love us to - soon enough we'll be in no position to even enjoy our football. The financial situation is untenable. It will catch up with us one day, and we could so easily find ourselves down a division.

Again, don't want to divert this into the topic of another thread, but this purity can be marketed to others who want/love/need to see the same. I think it's the purity of Everton that defines the club, players, and fans. I won't recount the excellent experience that Mrs Nigh and I had at Goodison, but it's different from most US sport consumption. Why is it that so many players love Everton above all? It's because of Everton.

We play it on the carpet
We play in through the air
Whichever way we play it
We play it fair and square

The School of Science is on its way back

The lore of Everton is grand. There is no small number of American Arsenal fans that have no idea about Boring, Boring Arsenal. That lot can't be helped, but I agree with RB that the opportunity to market Everton is vast. This needs to be capitalized upon by the club, in addition to putting forward the best team possible on the pitch. This will improve the club's turnover far more than a new stadium.

@RaleighBlue has a good thread on this elsewhere, but I think expanding shirt sales isn't going to be a major part of increasing turnover. Increasing turnover comes from butts in seats (at Goodison and more importantly, via TV) watching Everton. Some of this will come from telling Everton's story. Some will come from watching amazing play on the pitch. This is where increased turnover will be found.
We will disagree here again.

Gate receipts are only a portion of a healthy revenue stream, and tv money is less to do with Everton, and more to do with the health of the League. The area that Everton need to improve is their Commercial income.

The following link compares the revenues streams of many football clubs as of 2011.

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/.../66f55ec578ffd210VgnVCM2000001b56f00aRCRD.htm

By comparison Everton's revenue in 2013:
64% broadcast
20% gate
8% Commercial
5% Other Commercial Activites (so I guess this is added? And we're at 13% commercial)

The rest is catering and decimal points.

Only Villa compare to our poor commercial income as a percentage of our revenues.

Have to disagree.

Many Americans certainly will support clubs that win loads of trophies, but America has a pretty enormous population and a fascination with the underdog and with not being labelled as a 'glory-hunter'. Just because we haven't won doesn't mean that you can't make huge inroads through good marketing and drawing attention to the reasons we all became supporters.

But I'm rehashing arguments I've made in the past in relation to this, so I'll stop here. I think attempting to win trophies and expanding our portfolio must happen in parallel, not in sequence.

That's what I love about America... there will always be a place for ideas. Americans are a people that enjoy believing in something; yes, there is a huge obsession with traditional sporting victory and triumph as others have managed but the underdog story was born in America. It's beloved there, it's a part of the culture. Generally it's nice to have something to show for it - the odd cup here and there (wonder how many fans Wigan generated through that FA Cup win? A few, I imagine) - but the notion of being an underdog in itself will not be a bad think in more marketable countries like the US.

Places like Africa e.t.c is where we're screwed. 1 TV between 30+ kids they won't even get an opportunity to see an Everton game much less form an attachment to us.

Again, don't want to divert this into the topic of another thread, but this purity can be marketed to others who want/love/need to see the same. I think it's the purity of Everton that defines the club, players, and fans. I won't recount the excellent experience that Mrs Nigh and I had at Goodison, but it's different from most US sport consumption. Why is it that so many players love Everton above all? It's because of Everton.

We play it on the carpet
We play in through the air
Whichever way we play it
We play it fair and square

The School of Science is on its way back

The lore of Everton is grand. There is no small number of American Arsenal fans that have no idea about Boring, Boring Arsenal. That lot can't be helped, but I agree with RB that the opportunity to market Everton is vast. This needs to be capitalized upon by the club, in addition to putting forward the best team possible on the pitch. This will improve the club's turnover far more than a new stadium.

I am certain that our US lads are right on this one. There is a massive gap in the market over there, and Everton are by far the best placed club to exploit it. And I mean really exploit it. I have absolutely no idea how to even get the ball rolling, but if a few lads on here can come up with a great idea by just posting, imagine what a proper organisation could make happen.

We will disagree here again.

Gate receipts are only a portion of a healthy revenue stream, and tv money is less to do with Everton, and more to do with the health of the League. The area that Everton need to improve is their Commercial income.

The following link compares the revenues streams of many football clubs as of 2011.

http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/.../66f55ec578ffd210VgnVCM2000001b56f00aRCRD.htm

By comparison Everton's revenue in 2013:
64% broadcast
20% gate
8% Commercial
5% Other Commercial Activites (so I guess this is added? And we're at 13% commercial)

The rest is catering and decimal points.

Only Villa compare to our poor commercial income as a percentage of our revenues.

Don't disagree entirely with this, except that people viewing Everton makes a difference both in commercial and broadcast revenues. Gate receipts won't change much--I'm not arsed about this or a new stadium. But look at how many times the RS were selected for TV viewing. Look at the commercial sponsorship for some of the other clubs. Time on TV yields more turnover directly (PL broadcasting splits) and indirectly (sponsorship). If you want more money, this where you'll find it. How to reach it may be a different story.

I am certain that our US lads are right on this one. There is a massive gap in the market over there, and Everton are by far the best placed club to exploit it. And I mean really exploit it. I have absolutely no idea how to even get the ball rolling, but if a few lads on here can come up with a great idea by just posting, imagine what a proper organisation could make happen.

This needs effort from individual fans, the club, supporters groups, and maybe a few well-placed Evertonians (@Rog Bennett)

Don't disagree entirely with this, except that people viewing Everton makes a difference both in commercial and broadcast revenues. Gate receipts won't change much--I'm not arsed about this or a new stadium. But look at how many times the RS were selected for TV viewing. Look at the commercial sponsorship for some of the other clubs. Time on TV yields more turnover directly (PL broadcasting splits) and indirectly (sponsorship). If you want more money, this where you'll find it. How to reach it may be a different story.
We agree in that sense. More fans means better sponsorships. I'm just down the road in the argument - we need better sponsorships and merchandising, but you're correct, more supporters are the way to do that.

But that requires a better marketing strategy to consume those future fans.

Anyone believing what's needed now is 'more positive, less confrontational dialogue' with the board of this club, and that we need to help them to a new commercial plan is barking up the wrong tree.

First of all: these people need confronting. They are never going to do the right thing for the club. That said, there really is no point talking presently about mobilising to see these carpet baggers off when the team is doing so well. That was the lesson learned last time (not that demonstrating/recording an interview with the plant pot chairman led to a defeat). Cometh the hour....

Second: you cant grow this club financially under the present owners. Sponsors and commercial partners will always take the piss because they know both that the owners are short-termist pushovers for cash up-front deals and, crucially, with an old stadium and a fairly unglamorous and parochial organisational image, they can never be squeezed for a better deal. That's down to the way the club has been marketed by the owners and various CEOs as some 'local champions' outfit playing in a 'stadium full of character' (because those tools failed three times to nail a new stadium down). It all adds up to a small time, rank amateurism that potential partners will refuse to take seriously.

Bottom line: we wont get shut of these gangsters until a) an unlikely takeover that sorts their greed out for them; b) there's a real downturn on the pitch that leads to feet on the ground protests and a consequent product and service fall off in demand.

Indeed.
Let's face it, we are for one reason or another one of the least proactive group of fans in the country. My personal belief is that our traditionalism is in this sense holding us back: Evertonians came from purity, and desire purity. We go the game for football and frankly the financial end of things takes us out the magic of the game and into the mire of reality. And if you know your history... isn't just some stock phrase, it's a genuine creed. The modern world has never been kind to us, and it's easier to hide from that fact than confront it.

We need to sort it out though, because we can't live on past glories forever - much as I'd love us to - soon enough we'll be in no position to even enjoy our football. The financial situation is untenable. It will catch up with us one day, and we could so easily find ourselves down a division.

Thats probably the best post I've ever read from you on here. I don't agree that the financial situation is close to untenable though, turnover is up dramatically (admittedly in line with every other club because of the TV deal) and financially with seem steady but not spectacular. Its the extra 10-15 million a season that needs to be squeezed out of the lemon from sources other than TV. There are signs that the club is looking to the future, the living facilities at Finch Farm are one example, but the big increase in turnover, and I'll say it again, is the increased global profile that comes from winning trophies and having well reported long runs in European competitions.

That's down to the way the club has been marketed by the owners and various CEOs as some 'local champions' outfit playing in a 'stadium full of character'

You make some good points, but will disagree with this statement. The Chicago Cubs are a "local team" with one of the oldest ballparks in America, full of character. They haven't won anything in 106 years. But they are valued by Forbes at $1.2BN USD, the 4th highest in all of baseball. Forbes values this single team as worth more than the Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates combined, both of which have new ballparks and have won (relatively) recently.

There's a lot more to this story, and surely it helps in no small measure that the Cubs were on cable TV every night across America for many years before the current age of American sports, but this team has in no small part taken its history and image (not a history of winning, let's remember) and built a tremendous brand with it.

I'm not sure that the current board are capable of doing this with Everton, and so there we may agree, but I would not discount the tremendous power of the club's brand.

Last edited:
Anyone believing what's needed now is 'more positive, less confrontational dialogue' with the board of this club, and that we need to help them to a new commercial plan is barking up the wrong tree.

First of all: these people need confronting. They are never going to do the right thing for the club. That said, there really is no point talking presently about mobilising to see these carpet baggers off when the team is doing so well. That was the lesson learned last time (not that demonstrating/recording an interview with the plant pot chairman led to a defeat). Cometh the hour....

Second: you cant grow this club financially under the present owners. Sponsors and commercial partners will always take the piss because they know both that the owners are short-termist pushovers for cash up-front deals and, crucially, with an old stadium and a fairly unglamorous and parochial organisational image, they can never be squeezed for a better deal. That's down to the way the club has been marketed by the owners and various CEOs as some 'local champions' outfit playing in a 'stadium full of character' (because those tools failed three times to nail a new stadium down). It all adds up to a small time, rank amateurism that potential partners will refuse to take seriously.

Bottom line: we wont get shut of these gangsters until a) an unlikely takeover that sorts their greed out for them; b) there's a real downturn on the pitch that leads to feet on the ground protests and a consequent product and service fall off in demand.
Davek, I admire your dedication and passion, and I suspect you are completely correct in your assessment of the board (not the brand). However, I question whether a confrontational tactic will work if it is employed from the off.

It's less about the club, and more about the image of any supporters group by other supporters, that vast silent majority. If you come out guns blazing, many will write you off without listening to your points. However, if you come out diplomatic and cordial, you may find a massive undercurrent of disquiet among the fanbase. Then, depending on the action (or more likely inaction) of the board, you have a vast collection of supporters on your side and willing to take the board on.

Currently, I believe there are 4 groups of Evertonians:
Anti-Board
Untrusting of the Board, and unhappy with the board, but not necessarily militantly so
Pro-Board
Don't care

The don't care people will never care while the results are solid, so let's ignore them.

The trick is to unify the first and second groups to try and bring about change. If done correctly, and change fails to develop, you'll find less and less of the third group, and probably even less of the fourth group. At which point a confrontational tact is far more likely to succeed.

'carpetbaggers' 'gangsters' 'plant pot chairman' 'tools' 'small time' 'rank amateurism' 'greed' Well Dave, you've really taken on board the idea of a well thought out attempt at dialogue with the board. Well done.

Davek, I admire your dedication and passion, and I suspect you are completely correct in your assessment of the board (not the brand). However, I question whether a confrontational tactic will work if it is employed from the off.

It's less about the club, and more about the image of any supporters group by other supporters, that vast silent majority. If you come out guns blazing, many will write you off without listening to your points. However, if you come out diplomatic and cordial, you may find a massive undercurrent of disquiet among the fanbase. Then, depending on the action (or more likely inaction) of the board, you have a vast collection of supporters on your side and willing to take the board on.

Currently, I believe there are 4 groups of Evertonians:
Anti-Board
Untrusting of the Board, and unhappy with the board, but not necessarily militantly so
Pro-Board
Don't care

The don't care people will never care while the results are solid, so let's ignore them.

The trick is to unify the first and second groups to try and bring about change. If done correctly, and change fails to develop, you'll find less and less of the third group, and probably even less of the fourth group. At which point a confrontational tact is far more likely to succeed.

What makes you suspect the board are 'gangsters' ?

What makes you suspect the board are 'gangsters' ?
Take away the slurs. I'm being magnanimous. I suspect that this board is not the correct board to lead us to glory commercially and on the pitch. Simply because they have failed to do so for 14 years. I'm perfectly happy to be wrong in that.

Slurs, etc? I don't care, I only care about Everton, and the board is not Everton, say what you will of them one way or the other.

I also suspect that the board will require a confrontational approach in the long term, but as I say, I could be wrong and am happy to give them the benefit of the doubt. I suspect this mainly because of the cancellation of the AGM. However it's reinstatement gives me hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.