The end of Hibbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing I ever read about Hibbo was this....

"He waits. That’s what he does. Then he shuffles. That’s how he moves. Side-step, side-step, side-step, tracking the bogey, marshalling it, gently manoeuvring it into position. And then he strikes. There is a heavy thump of boot on ball and a roar from the frenzied crowd. Patrice Evra spins through the night sky, landing heavily, the air driven from his lungs on impact. Unruffled and uninterested in the acclaim, Tony Hibbert gets to his feet and shuffles back into position. That’s what he does. He is not a superstar, he is not a brand. He’s just a bloody bloke.

There are certain expectations of a 21st century full-back. They must be auxiliary wingers, scampering up and down the pitch, tracking their man, but providing their own pressure on the flanks. They must be whippets in boots, probing and penetrating like a well thrown javelin. Hibbert probes and penetrates like a sledgehammer swung through the side of a shed. He’ll get forward occasionally, he’s even been known to set up the odd goal, but he has never, ever shared a sentence with the word ‘cavalier.’

This isn’t to patronise or denigrate his achievements. Hibbert made his debut for Everton in 2001 and you don’t get to play more than 250 Premier League games over an 11 year period purely because you’re a hard worker. Hibbert is intelligent, he doesn’t desert his post, he rarely switches off and he always, always makes sure that the man he is marking knows that he’s been marked. You can see why David Moyes has never sought to replace him. While Marouane Fellaini was the star of Everton’s opening night 1-0 victory over Manchester United, Hibbert typified his team’s efforts. He is, in many ways, Everton personified"

full piece here
http://bet.unibet.com/football/prem...ducing-unsung-jewel-evertons-sparkly-crown/41

Good piece Tommye, you missed out the best bit

"On a dark night, in driving rain and howling wind, even a ninja couldn’t sneak past Hibbert on the right flank"

He's been superb for us.

He may not be the most technical player, but you can't have 11 of them in one team. You need a Hibbert sometimes.

...it was the end for Hibbo some time ago. I suspect it would take some injury pile up to see him getting a start in a Premier League game. I watched him come through the ranks and he's certainly made the most of what he had. A good servant who has been handsomely rewarded.

A decent defender but no great shakes at going forward.

That's not really detrimental to his job though, is it? He's a defender.

The only reason he gets picked up on this is due to the absolute Worldie who plays on the opposite flank to him. He's a very very decent defender so that'll suffice for me.

Attack minded midfielders like Pienaar and Osman having the shooting ability of Helen Keller, now that's detrimental.

Thank God.

I respect the man, but he stole a living from Everton FC. If he wasn't a Scouser none of us on here would have this blind loyalty to him, a la with Osman too. Awful footballer, who had about three good games a season.

10/10 for effort, though, which is more than some players can boast, I guess.

This is fair.

A cult hero who gives it his all, but Coleman has shown him up recently and theres no shame in that. Lucky to have lasted this long at the club he obviously loves, which is nice.

That's not really detrimental to his job though, is it? He's a defender.

The only reason he gets picked up on this is due to the absolute Worldie who plays on the opposite flank to him. He's a very very decent defender so that'll suffice for me.

Attack minded midfielders like Pienaar and Osman having the shooting ability of Helen Keller, now that's detrimental.

Thats one point of view, personally I'd say his job is to be a footballer first, and he's lacking in that, not a personal attack on his character, but if you told me now he will never start another game for us I'd be made up

Hibbo is a worker, not as talented as Bainsey but gives just as much effort. More important he's an icon, one of us, Everton through and through. I'm still waiting for the goal and a chance to riot.

I must have gone mental I thought we liked him cos he's one of the lads and a pyar scouser who goes in with the scalls and sings Allez allez allez oh and he's a likable lad but he was a bit of a comedy figure as it was common knowledge he was quite gash at footy.

I must have missed the bit were he turned into Roberto Carlos on the right.

Can somebody post a few vids of him doing something boss cos I mean every footballer looks good on youtube don't they. If there is any that is.

I'm actually, genuinely devastated, I honestly prefer Hibbo at right back; agreed he isn't great going forward or crossing the ball and he's not that quick but as a solid, traditional defender I really don't think there are many better. I'd rather see Coleman on the right wing infront of Tony, i'd feel safe when the opposition attack down their left (our right) if we played that way!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back