Homepage Update: The ‘Moytinez’ Conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ashtonian

If we hired Koeman i'd be furious. Hes been a failure everywhere other than feyenoord and although he had to sell players at southampton hes spent a fair whack as well hasnt he?

As for finishing 7th under him id rather set our sights higher even if it means a couple of seasons in mid table rebuilding.

Would that be like when he failed at these clubs

Ajax - Eredivisie: 2001–02, 2003–04, KNVB Cup: 2001–02
PSV - Eredivisie: 2006–07
Valencia - Copa del Rey: 2007–08

or when he succeeded at Feyenoord when he actually won absolutely nothing?

@catcherintherye @Ashtonian

Just going off this thread title and OP it screams Tuchel to me or even Cocu.

You do realise - well you should do anyway as i have told you about 3 times now, that Tuchel spent a year out of a job after leaving Mainz specifically waiting to get the Dortmund job, now he has it you honestly think he will leave to come manage Everton.

He has the job he wanted and held out for, next season will be Bayern without Guardiola and he already has Dortmund right on their shoulder, he would be an utter idiot to leave at this point.

Why not? It's what's needed clearly - Martinez attacking flair plus Moyes defensive discipline

They could do joint interviews and press conferences

Because his defensive discipline is a myth?

The interviews would be fun though. Martinez getting all excited about our prospects and Moyes peeing all over them.

I think a manager returning to the club where he built his reputation is almost always a bad idea and while I think Moyes did a great job for us considering our plight when he took over, think that is also the case here.

I think Martinez introduced a flair and style that was often missing from Moyes' teams although this worked in the first season largely due to the good defence and solid foundations left him. In subsequent seasons the defence and side as a whole have lost the art of how to defend that Moyes put in place and now treat defending and winning back possession as not as important and something of an afterthought.

The balance is now so out of kilter that the blame lies solely with Martinez and as the article says a man who can marry the best of both managers would be ideal.

Currently I think Saints' manager Ronald Koeman best fits the bill and at least should be sounded out, if he's not interested then Burnley boss Sean Dyche seems to have got the maximum from his team while being able to produce saleable assets like Danny Ings and Kieran Trippier.

I rate Sean Dyche. The fans would turn on him instantly though. Been relegated, turning us into Burnley etc etc.

I rate Sean Dyche. The fans would turn on him instantly though. Been relegated, turning us into Burnley etc etc.

Maybe wait for him to get them promoted again - his side's do practice defending though something Roberto forgot about a while back but it's a good point on what could be a negative reaction.

In all fairness to Dyche, the club didn't put much financial effort into staying up last season so they were stuck playing dour football to try and survive. Would be interested seeing what they look like if they give it a good go next time up.

To be fair, Moyes' discipline and defensive ability + Roberto's transfer sweet talking and more attacking outlook would produce a good manager.

It's basically the old mermaid conundrum. Bobby has those sexy come hither eyes and sweet talking lips, but when you get down to it, there's nowhere to jam your rod of euphoria. Just disappointment and anti climax. Whereas Moyes is the dour and ugly fish head, but he offers a solid foundation with those two fine human legs planted firmly on the ground.

Or something.

Amazing

To be fair, Moyes' discipline and defensive ability + Roberto's transfer sweet talking and more attacking outlook would produce a good manager.

It's basically the old mermaid conundrum. Bobby has those sexy come hither eyes and sweet talking lips, but when you get down to it, there's nowhere to jam your rod of euphoria. Just disappointment and anti climax. Whereas Moyes is the dour and ugly fish head, but he offers a solid foundation with those two fine human legs planted firmly on the ground.

Or something.
Disturbing mental images. I'm going to have nightmares tonight.

Would that be like when he failed at these clubs

Ajax - Eredivisie: 2001–02, 2003–04, KNVB Cup: 2001–02
PSV - Eredivisie: 2006–07
Valencia - Copa del Rey: 2007–08

or when he succeeded at Feyenoord when he actually won absolutely nothing?

Look at his results after winning the leagues. For example at Ajax and PSV he was miles off the pace with the best side in the league in 2004 and 2008.

Also hated at valencia and tragic at AZ.

Feyenoord he did well at despite not winning a trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.