Tales from the Gwladys Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimboefc97

Player Valuation: £2.5m
Ive recently read this book whilst on holiday and wondered if any GOT members have read it and what they thought of it?

if you havent read it i recommend it as its a nice light read with many tales from Evertonians over the years.

Also is there any other books about Everton or autobiography of players that you recommend?

Recently I have read Mick Rathbone's book which was excellent, also another cracking read is Mark Ward's however he does slightly go off the subject of football!!! Currently reading Sharpy's autobiog which is so far entertaining. Another good one I read last year was Pat Van Den Hauwe's which is very funny and a great read. If you are interested in the diverse side of football "Confessions of a Category C Hooligan" by Andy Nicholls gives an interesting, funny and completely honest insight into his times as a supporter, he is a smashing lad and enjoyed a pint with him last week, he does a lot of work for charity now and has finally had his ban lifted after ten years. Really can honestly recommend it.

Recently I have read Mick Rathbone's book which was excellent, also another cracking read is Mark Ward's however he does slightly go off the subject of football!!! Currently reading Sharpy's autobiog which is so far entertaining. Another good one I read last year was Pat Van Den Hauwe's which is very funny and a great read. If you are interested in the diverse side of football "Confessions of a Category C Hooligan" by Andy Nicholls gives an interesting, funny and completely honest insight into his times as a supporter, he is a smashing lad and enjoyed a pint with him last week, he does a lot of work for charity now and has finally had his ban lifted after ten years. Really can honestly recommend it.
i got told he lied alot in that book is it true?.

I thought this was a fantastic book. Read it quite a while ago but made me proud to be blue. Also got me talking to my dad about when he was a young Evertonian and if he had any funny stories from match days. Some of the things in the book you would never get away with these days: going on the team coach, showing supporters club badges to get onto the bench away at Malaga, hiding in bins at Wembley as you dont have a ticket... simply brilliant.

The only other Everton book i have read was 'School of Science' basically an in depth history of the club written by a blue. Was very interesting for me and taught me a lot about the history and the pride of supporting Everton

wasnt impressed with sharpys book lost interest after his early days dont think he comes across like i expected him to be, he was a hero of mine, and the bit were billy whitehurst fronted them put me off , he had more or less ended bracewells career, whitehurst was a monster but if he had hurt one of my mates then fronted me, id have at least waited till he turned his back then bottled him and ran away.

My favourite football related book is Gary Imlach's My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes. His dad has a spell or two at Everton. It tells the great contrast between the footballers of the 50s and todays crop of primadonnas.

Mark Wards book Hammered is a good read too. Far from the usual boring footballers autobiography.

I was a bit disappointed with Snodin's but I think thats because quite a few people had built it up on this forum. It more of a bathroom book - loads of short stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.